Secondary Breast cancer in the brain

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi All

my partner was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the brain 1 month ago now, 12 tumours in total. 
steroids seem to be managing the symptoms very well, as prior to the diagnosis she was becoming quite ill, really distant, trouble speaking, walking strangely and loss of the use of her left arm and hand. On Steroids, practically as normal.

She also had gamma knife treatment last week, and we have follow up Oncology a week today. 

Has anybody else gone through this with their partner and been told any type of prognosis? We obviously know it’s stage IV and not curable, but we have no time frame either at this stage. 

This may sound a little selfish but I think it would just help me plan and prepare mentally, she is relatively well at the moment and that’s great and also hoping for good things with the gamma knife treatment.

massively struggling to focus on work pretty much at all for the last two weeks and feel like I need time out and have my phone and e Mails off! 

any comments appreciated

Pray

• Hi

Our stories are very different, but in my case my wife was very clear she did not want a prognosis - her cancer is also non curable. I don't think though even in a most optimistic more our oncologist would have guess that not only would she still be going 6 years later but as there has been no evidence of progression for some time he is actually talking of discharging her to the GP..

I know I struggled especially with some of the treatment and most carers get to recognize the need to recognize the impact on them - so no not selfish at all.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the reply Steve 

I know everyone is different case by case, by your experience certainly gives hope, optimism and encouragement.

PrayPray