Final stages liver failure

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi, my dad is sadly near end of life and has cancer in lots of places. He had a infection not long ago and his liver has now failed. He sleeps lots and is very yellow, his pupils are yellow too. He struggles to keep down any food or water. He also is very immobile and has started to become confused. I've just spent a few days with him and it was lovely to be with him, especially when he was awake and smiling. I live over 2 hours away and want to spend as much time with him as I can but also have my family to think about. I know it's morbid but does anything have an idea on timing. I'm thinking if going up at the weekend and staying late next week but wonder if this will be too late. What are others experiences of this. Thank you 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your dad; as I am sure you know the yellow colour is a signal of Jandice and would be a significant indicator of liver issues.

When it comes to when someone will die though even the most expert doctors can only make an educated guess. However even if you are not there at that exact moment you will be there in spirit.

I think it is really good that you have some positive memories of him being awake and smiling even at this stage. I know the last day I even spent with my father is a very special day to me.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Woo123. i am currently looking after my sister with secondary breast cancer, it’s spread to her liver. i have been told that due to the condition of her liver, we can expect around 4 weeks with her, i was told she may become jaundiced, her stomach may swell with fluid, she may become nauseous and have constipation and/or diarrhoea, pain in her side/right shoulder and some confusion as her liver becomes unable to breakdown the toxins in her body. So far (2 weeks later) her tum had swollen, and is ‘off’ some minor/short lasting periods of confusion. no jaundice yet. i know things may not be the same, so it’s hard to advise, but i want to send you love, i hear your worries, it’s so hard splitting time between caring and your family, please try to look after yourself too, you can only do your best. i hope someone can advise you further. 

• I just wanted to thank you both for taking the time to message. Sadly my Dad lost his battle just over two weeks ago, he was stubborn and fought until the very end. Although it is very sad, I am grateful for the time I spent with him. The final stages were very hard however it was comforting to know that he could still hear us and knew we were there. My family were great but it was hard not seeing them for a week before my father passed. The whole experience has given me a greater appreciation of what is important. Treasure anytime you have with your sister AJ51, talk to her even if she doesn't respond. You are in my thoughts

• oh Woo123, i am so sorry to hear this, sending love to you and your family. Thankyou so much for responding and your kind words. Do reach out for support if you need it. x