Lung Cancer - Too ill for treatment

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi im new to this group and looking for any advice.  My mums lung cancer has returned and she is too ill now for any treatment  she is not eating only having those meal replacement drinks and is  hardly mobile at all and is sleeping alot  she went into hospital but they are sorting out a discharge soon with some support and the imput of the palliative care team  its all in process at the moment but i dont know what thehy will offer her support wise and its so hard speaking to anyone and trying to find out whats going on.  My mum has said she doesnt want to know how long shes got but we as her fanily feel we do  any suggestions of how to manage this dillema  im frighteded iof whats comming i suppose  i know my mum wants to be at home and i want this for her as well im just worried

thanks 

• Hi

Hi and welcome to the community though so sorry to hear about your mum.

The hospital is absolutely supposed to have a discharge plan before patients leave hospital and if you are being part of that plan pretty much you must be part of it. An issue is there is pressure on beds and social services are overloaded and people can fall through the cracks - sometimes we hear about bed blockers as if them staying in hospital was there fault rather than a lack of anywhere more appropriate.

On the subject of "how long" my wife never wanted a prognosis, it is worthwhile remembering they are at best an educated guess so unless someone has a real need many people ask what benefit might be provided

I did a living with less stress course that really helped me - learnt to appreciate every day rather that living in the dark world of pre-grief where Janice was already dead. The breathing exercises were great too for when life throws curveballs at us out of the blue - covid for example. Transcendental mediation though just did not really work for me.

You are worried - most normal thing in the world in your situation - only thing me wife really hates is being called brave.

We cope because we need to - be prepared to take all the help that is on offer and look after yourself too - you mum both wants you and needs you to be good.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

Thank you for your kind words  I have stopped panicking now i think and am trying to be more rational about the situation.  I realise the hospital can only tell me what they know not what i want, information is coming out bit by bit  I think its hard for me as i cant visit and i so want to but i will carry on my mum knows how much i love her and i know how much i lover her so we will get there in the end.

Thank you