Still going

• 1 reply
  • 46 subscribers

Hi, 

My lovely partner was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2018. We were initially told it should be treated nice and quickly, 3 years later we are still here and still having weekly chemo with no end in sight and waiting for radiotherapy to start too. My boyfriend just seems so broken at the moment. He’s fed up of being ill and in pain without being able to properly enjoy life. What can I do to help him? 
Any suggestions on helping cheer cancer sufferers up a bit with limited family contact (thanks COVID) and not too pricey? I just want to see him smile again! 

Thanks! 

• Hi @bambam95,

sorry to read about your partner and the ongoing treatment, especially as it seems to be about to shift up a gear with radiotherapy. Change is often tricky and is recognized as a major component of increasing stress.

I am sure from your description your partner is really concerned about the effect on you too - add covid in to the mix and pretty much the whole world has joined in with a trip to the insane asylum. 

I wonder if there is an activity that you did when you first met, something that drew you together and that you could do something similar now - talking about those shared experiences and how much they meant to us can be quite rewarding. 

There is a page on here Cancer diagnosis and relationships that might trigger some ideas.

Thank you for sharing your experience - I really hope you find something that works for you both and gives you smiles and laughter together.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge