Scared of future

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi my husband 64 has Myeloma and it’s been a tough 2 years since he was diagnosed. As he goes through ups and downs, Im 53 and on the cancer journey with him but it’s also mine alone as a carer, he is positive and optimistic surrounded by medical support and I am mostly by friends family but then at times really suffer with fatigue and depression and as I feel I have no control in my life. The cancer effects everything. I do have support and my husband and I are very much a loving team but when he’s having a tough time I’m lonely and miss him/our friendship and connection because I am purely his carer then. I’m just getting worn down by it all and I’m now thinking I need to make some practical changes to my life, where we live, less outside commitments and simplify things so I can cope better when things get tough, I run out of energy to live my life as well as one being a carer. Does anyone else feel this? 

• Hi Maria842,

I am sorry for the situation you are finding yourself in. And I can relate very much to what you dhave written. I was caring for my husband for a number of years and particularly in the last year of his life; we enjoyed the good times together but when he was very unwell I felt like I was only the carer and was very much on my own and that we were both struggling in different ways: he was struggling to survive and I was struggling to keep it all together in my own way. I think there is no solution to it other than, as you say, make changes in your own life so that you can accommodate the life that is so much dominated by the illness better. Would joining a support group help? Do you feel that an activity like yoga or meditation outside the home with a group of like-mined people could be good? Or are there some things you particularly like doing and could imagine doing for a couple of hours per week to get you out and thinking about something else? You can still be a loving team with your husband and still be his carer when this is needed most but you also have some of your own things to do. In my case, it was different. I changed my life so that I was only with my husband and there for him. I didn't go to work for the last three months of his life, did very little without him and outside the home, but that in retrospect was not good because I ended up being really burned out. So I suppose we all have to find our own way. But, yes, I understand you.

Love Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi , I completely understand where you're coming from. You might like to ask your husband's Macmillan Nurse about the Companion Scheme where someone could come and sit with your husband during the tough times so you can have a break. is so right about looking after yourself. Try going for a walk, having a warm bath, anything to take time out and build up your reserves.The change in relationships when we are more carer than spouse certainly changes how I feel; I have a dog so I take her out for long walks and that helps me so much, but I appreciate when things are tough that getting out is not easy. The practical changes I'm sure will make a huge difference; very wise of you to go that way. 

Love and hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you