Importance of prognosis.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I'm new here. A month ago, my mum was diagnosed with terminal uterine cancer. Stage 1 but grade 3. She did have a radical hysterectomy, 6 weeks of radiotherapy & 2 brachytherapy days. The cancer has advanced to her pelvic lymph nodes & to the outer lining of her bowel. My mum & I spoke to the Dr together. She was young & inexperienced at giving this news, I believe. She started with the 5 year stats, which she said don't apply to my mum, as she's older. Then she gave us a, not weeks or months prognosis. I'm aware that the best of oncologists are not seers & that they frequently over estimate, but this is like a weather forecast? Very woolly. Does anyone know anything about this. My husband & I do & will care for her. She & us will need to plan, as painful as we find that. I'm not looking for the day or month but some idea. I've searched the internet, with no result. The hospital have referred mum to the local nursing team & palliative care, so talking again to the oncologist seems unlikely & if I specifically request an appt, my mum will stop me. She may have another 3 short bursts of radio, for comfort reasons. Please help.

Al.

• Hi and welcome to Carers.

Prognosis is a tough subject and there is no definitive outlook. Sometimes people are given months but have less, others given weeks and have months. One of our own champs was given a few months to live and is still here years later. When my husband booked in for his prostatectomy the surgeon was absolutely certain it would still be contained and he would be cured. It wasn't and he isn't. Cancer is a beast that doesn't abide by any rules.

A friend of mine said that making her own decisions about treatment empowered her and gave her strength. I'm afraid no one can help make things clearer than they are now and the most important thing is for your mum to feel in control. You could ask her GP to refer her to the local hospice; they can provide so much help in the home and give advice and support. If you need to talk, do call the helpline which is manned by experts who are very supportive. It's a hard journey, but I'm sure your mum will find your support invaluable.

Hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LoobyLou49

Thankyou.

I'm so sorry about your husband. Mum's expected outcome was good, it was a shock. We're building a room in our house for her, I hope with all my heart she gets to use it.

Many thanks gir your kind reply.

Al.