New to forum - Just started FLOT chemo for tumour at GOJ junction of oesophagus

• 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello New person to this forum , some background from me . I am 60 Year old , Father of two married children with 2 Granddaughters. I am fit and active playing golf and regular attender to my local fitness center.

I have previously had no major health issues . I had Small discomfort in my lower stomach and occasional difficulty with some swallowing only small amounts rarely. However i was referred for an Endoscopy in April , where it was identified i may have a malignant tumour at GOJ junction of Oesophagus, Following another Biopsy , a pet scan , CT scan and Laproscopy it was confirmed stage T2/3 . Poss spread to nearby Lymph Nodes but not to other organs.

Started this week on  24th my first of 4 two week cycles of FLOT chemotherapy , then if ok plan to remove all my stomach in Ivor Lewis Procedure , then another 4 cycles of FLOT.

Like i guess many of you now starting the treatment this has become really real and scary , both in terms of effects of chemo, and what is ahead.

Cannot believe i am actually on this forum writing about such things, mentality also trying to come to terms with this as well as physically.

I would like to hear from anyone who is going through similar treatment at what ever stage. Be good to share experiences with people who actually understand, and despite all having good family and friend support network not same , than from people who understand.

Best wishes all and apologies for length of this note

• Welcome to the Online Community, !

I saw that your first post was originally made on an older discussion thread, where it might not be seen so easily. To that end, I have moved your post out into it's own discussion thread, and I have updated the title to reflect what you've described in the post.

I'm sure some friendly members of the Online Community will be along to welcome you and to share their own experiences and tips soon.

In the meantime, don't forget you can also seek advice on a range of topics over in our Ask an Expert forum. If you have a question you’d like a professional to answer, simply head over to the correct forum group, and post your question by starting a new thread. A Macmillan professional will then aim to respond within 1 to 3 working days.

Alongside accessing support via the Online Community, our Macmillan Support Line teams are also here for you. They’re available from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, on freephone 0808 808 00 00, by email, or via live webchat.

Welcome again, and if you need any help with using the site, please feel free to email the Online Community Team using our community@macmillan.org.uk address.

All the best,
    Matthew
    Macmillan Online Community Team