BRAC2 positive. Awaiting risk reducing mastectomy

• 7 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there who’s BRAC2 positive and had the risk reducing surgery? Started the referral process today to the breast surgeons. 100% confident it’s the right decision but so nervous. Hoping to reach out to someone in my position.

Thank you,

Hannah

• Hi hanana, I am also waiting for risk reducing surgery

also due to the Brca 2 gene. 

good luck! 

• Hi,  I found out I had the BRACA2 gene after my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer nearly 6 years ago.  Following genetic testing, myself and my husband, I was found to carry the gene.    I had no hesitation in having my ovaries removed and a double mastectomy.   For me, I wanted to reduce the risk as much as I could although this is not the answer for everyone, especially if you are thinking of having children in the future.     As I was well past the menopause I had no adverse symptoms following the removal of my ovaries.   The breast  surgery and recovery was fine with no  problems.   I have chosen not to have reconstruction surgery or implants and am now flat chested.    I am aware most people do not take this option but I did not want to go through lengthy reconstruction surgery with a longer recovery time.    I very much wish you the best for the future, it is scary but you will get through it.   Just one point, please make your decision for yourself and not anyone else.

Much Love.

• Hi Ann, I have received my follow up letter for the breast clinic this morning. 
    I am feeling really anxious and scared all at the same time. 
    I know this is normal but it doesn’t help me. 
    I’ll be 60 next year and decided to go flat.  Seeing what you have done does give me reassurance. 
    kind regards

• Morning,  I was 64 when this happened to me and I have not regretted the decisions I made.  It was right for me and I hope the same applies to you.   Yes it is scary, but you are doing the right thing as it very significantly reduces the risk of cancer in the future.  The surgery itself is straightforward and the recovery should be quick.  I very much hope your next visit to the breast clinic goes well.     Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, or just need a hug.

Best wishes, xxx   

• Thank you so much for your reply Ann. I am coming to terms with it now, I think it was the initial shock of getting the letter. 
    I’m so glad you have no regrets and I’m sure I will be the same. I have even put off buying any bras as I will get something more suitable when needed. 

you are an inspiration.

best wishes

xxx

• Hi Hannah

I basically made a new thread with the same question without realising! I have BRCA2, and am very certain that I should have the risk-reducing surgery, but I am very anxious about the process and recovery, risk involved etc. I am 37, and have 2 kids (no plans for more) so for me it will hopefully take away many years of anxiety. Despite that, the actual process of removing and reconstructing the breasts, and thought of the procedure makes me feel quite scared (and queasy!). I have not started the full referral process to the surgeons yet, but will soon. 

Have you been given any idea how long you will have to wait for the surgery?