My husband died in my arms on the 2nd May (2009) - what happens now?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7970 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My husband - Chris - died on the 2nd May 2009 because he had anal cancer. He knew he was going and we spoke about lots and lots of things before he died. That is why I am just not prepared for the huge amount of guilt I feel now. I feel guilty that the world hasn't stopped turning round even though he has died. I feel like everything should stop as a mark of respect. I also feel very guilty that he had to be so ill he had to die. What a cruel cruel thing it is to make someone so ill their body just stops working. I wasn't ready for him to go. I really really hope these are normal feelings because I must hang on to my sanity for the sake of my 3 children. I have never known sadness like I feel right now. I can't believe that I will not hear his voice or feel his touch again. We were married for almost 32 years and I have known Chris for 34 years - since I was 16. What happens now? Ailsa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hello paul dean. I am so sorry we made you cry. Please don't let Joanne's family's behaviour get you down right now. I was so fed up with some members of Chris's family before he died but it is your time with Joanne that counts now. After Chris died some members of his family, who couldn't possibly have re-scheduled the weekly shopping trip to fit in a visit to see him, wanted to know why it had been kept from them just how ill he was!! Unbelievable! Keep biting your lip, keep strong and keep giving Joanne cuddles. Never mind anything else. Chris ran rings round me in his last few hours and even in his last few days but he had no choice. I am glad I did everything he asked. There are very few comforts to come so ignore everyone else and concentrate on you two. Ailsa x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ailsa is right. This is the most special time in the world for you and your beloved, and nothing and no one else counts. I am sorry her parents are not being as they should be in these heartbreaking circumstances, but it could be becasue they are out of their minds themselves. But do not try and 'carry' them as well - this is your time with your beloved, and you will carry these precious, infinitely precious, memories with you all your life.

Talk to her, be with her, hold her, touch her. Hearing is the last sense to fade, and no one can ever be told too much that you love them.

With kind thoughts, at this time of such anguish, Julie.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Pauldean, hugs to you ((((())))))

You do what you feel is right, you know each other the best xxxx

I didn`t know Paul was going so suddenly but was with him and did everything he asked and wanted. That`s all you can do xxxx

Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good morning. I think today is not going to be a great day. I have woken up with a wooly head. That happened on Monday and I had a dodgy day on Monday. Luckily I don't have to do too much today but there was a lot I wanted to do. Chris made a video 3 weeks before he died. I watched it in bed last night. It was wonderful to see and hear him again but it upsets me to see how ill he looked. I slept okay but I think the video could be contributing to my mood today. I won't be watching it any less often but I need to pick my moment better.

I got good news yesterday that even I can be happy about because it was one of the things Chris was so concerned about - the mortgage insurance have agreed to pay out and I should get it this week. That will make the house safe and pay for Chris's funeral. He would have been pleased. Ailsa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ailsa - that's great news about the mortgage and you must be so relieved. In a way, I find it outrageous that here we are, stricken with grief, our lives destroyed, and then we have to worry about money as well.....

So it's wonderful if that has been sorted now.

I know what you mean about watching videos - I have some on my computer, downloaded from the camcorder, and they are infinitely precious. Sometimes I watch them and I feel so reassured and cheered, because there we all are, just like we were, happy, a normal family. Even the ones taken when the cancer was already here still cheer me, because it shows we were happy to the last - especially the one from our last family holiday in the summer. But sometimes they can be just too emotional to watch. I took some, which perhaps is a little goulish, I don't know, when my husband was near the end. I wanted to for two reasons - first because it was still 'him' even though he was so, so ill, and also because I wanted to be able to remind myself, afterwards, like now, of just how ill he was - in other words, seeing him lying there, looking so old, so ill, immobile and just about unconscious, and when I make myself watch that, then I know that to have wanted him to stay longer would have been cruel, that I had to let him go, and be glad that he wasn't trapped in that sick, sick body any more.

I think we HAVE to be glad for them that they are no longer sick and ill, that they are free of that vile cancer, and it can't hurt and harm them any longer.

I hope today turns out to be a little easier for you. You are still so, so raw, and I do think, in all honesty, that we go a little insane when we lose someone we love. Even for me, now over five months, that still hits me sometime.

But it does get easier to bear, I promise. It doesn't heal - how can it, something unspeakable has happened, and that can never be healed - but it does get easier to bear.

All the best possible (at a time when there is no 'best') - Julie.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Ailsa, good news about your mortgage. I`ve sent all my papers off, just hoping I get mine sorted as quickly. I look at some of the recent photos of Paul (we went to center parcs a couple of weeks before he died) and it`s his eyes that get me. They weren`t his eyes, he just looked tired.At his funeral last Friday we put photo`s round the room of his life and they went down really well, got everyone chatting and remembering happy times.

Julie, your words are reassuring, I can`t imagine it feeling easier at the moment and I still haven`t had a day that I haven`t cried yet.

Love to you both Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Paul,
    I lost my wife Joanne in hospice and the last days were something which i will never be able to convey in words so my heart goes out to you at this time.

Julie's poem also made me shed a tear. I even remember feeling very emotional when I heard it in 'Four weddings and a Funeral'. It seems to convey so well the utter emptiness that exists when a soulmate is lost.

Ailsa, my deepest sympathy is also with you. I know words alone cannot provide comfort when it feels like someone has wrenched you heart out.

John x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ailsa
    I can really relate to everything you're going through - I lost my husband, Brian, last year in August. We had been married for 32 years and I find myself not knowing what to do as I've never really been a single person. I too met my husband at 16 and we got married when I was 18. Although it's tough just getting through each day, when I look back on the last nine months I realise that I must have moved on, as I never thought when I was where you are right now, that I could make it through a month let alone nine.
    Don't feel you're being disloyal by planning to go back to work. In some ways, it was the best thing I did - I went back after 6 weeks. It gave me something to focus on, if only for the time I was at work. It can be very difficult being at home and having lots of time to think back on things. Some days that is what you need to do though...........you have to give yourself time and space to grieve in whatever way you need to do.
    Just concentrate on getting through one day at a time - when it comes down to it - that's all life really is, isn't it?

Heather.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Thank you Julie, Helen, John and Heather. I guessed right - it wasn't a great day but it got better as it went along. I spent the morning writing a few more thank you's and acknowledgements for flowers and services etc. I got some plants ready to put on Chris's grave when his funeral flowers get tatty. I spent a bit more time than usual at Chris's grave today - making it tidy. This is why I really must go back to work!! I could hear his voice in my head telling me off for looking after him even after he has died. He hated how much I had to look after him when he was so ill he would go mad if he could see me still doing it now. Don't get me wrong - I have made plans to do things other than look after Chris's grave but I do seem to have spent a lot of time doing things Chris would not approve of today. That just adds to my guilt.
    I don't think your videos will be at all goulish Julie. Chris made his video on the 9th April without telling me he was going to do it. He couldn't keep it to himself once he had done it but we were not allowed to see it until he decided the time was right. He didn't mean it to be saved until after he died. Our eldest daughter lives a couple of hundred miles away so he was waiting for her to come home so that we could all watch it together. Becky came home on Friday evening and Chris died in the early hours of Saturday morning so we never got to see it together. We have had to watch it since but even though it bothers me how ill he looks it also serves to remind me that he was too ill to carry on. He had had enough. He was abolutely worn out from the fight. I am and I'm fit and well so I can't begin to imagine how he was feeling. In the last few hours he told me more than once that he was ready to give up the fight and so I am glad he isn't in pain anymore. He couldn't sit or stand. He couldn't lie on his back but he couldn't lie comfortably on his side for long either because he had lost so much weight. He had no strength to change position himself so I had to lift him - he hated that.
    John, Heather - it really does help to hear from people who know exactly what I am feeling. My family are trying really hard but they don't know the despair I am feeling. The sadness is like a big cloud. I will take comfort from knowing that you are carrying on. I know full well I can do it - I'm that kind of person but I don't feel any enthusiasm for carrying on right now.
    Helen - putting photos round the room was a good idea. My eldest daughter did the Order of Service for Chris's funeral herself. She used my profile photo from here and then included my Dad's tribute and her and her brother and sister's eulogy as the content inside. At least the photo was from happier times. I think more photos would have been good.
    I have chatted for way too long. Good night everyone. Better day tomorrow? Ailsa x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Let`s hope today is better.I had an awful evening last night. I had seen friends and had in laws round but felt sick and couldn`t stop crying last night.
    Poor son was going on a date and daughter and I ended up in my bed at 8.30 on the lappy and watching tele.
    Hate them seeing me like that but not good at hiding it!
    Suddenly being on my own seems very lonely and wonder how I will fill these bank holidays/evenings without him???
    Maybe I do need to go back to work but feel I don`t want to listen to trivial chat at the moment. How do I snap out of this??
    Got father in law coming round this morning to fix my fence and got friend coming for tea.
    Hope everyone has a better day under the circumstances

Helen xxx