Why do I do it?

• 17 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Every night I talk to my husband, who passed 1st August this year. 

I say, got through another day hun, and then I read, but my mind goes to images of him in his hospital and him asking me to hold his hand or give him a hug. 

It's breaking my heart, tonight more than ever. I want to keep those images, coz it was lovely, he wasn't one for holding hands but I think he was scared. 

I miss him so much, it really really does hurt.

Do any of you go to grief groups, do they help?

I don't have a big groups of friends to talk and they are caught up in their own lives......and rightly so. 

Ugh sorry I'm waffling on. Might try and read again. Sorry to bore you.

• I just want to give you a big hug. I am 15 months down the line now and have bad and better days but can honestly say that the thing that helped me most was going to grief counselling.  I first went two months after my husband had died when everything was raw, just having that space to scream and cry was so important.  I then went to further counselling nine months later as I needed to process how I was feeling. This group also helped as I was talking to people who knew.

Don't ever apologise for posting here, we all get it. Sometimes you want to hid away but as soon as you do you realise that you are alone and need your grief to be recognised.  

Sulubee

• Thank you for your kind words. 

It means a lot x

• I'm sorry to read your post. It's a terrible situation to be in. But I feel your pain - as do all of the others here.

On this:

Do any of you go to grief groups, do they help?

I don't have a big groups of friends to talk and they are caught up in their own lives......and rightly so

I also don't have many friends to talk to - but I did attend grief counselling in a group setting earlier on this year (my wife died in October last year), and I did find it helpful. For myself, just the physical act of talking aloud about what's happened has proved helpful for me - though I can't really explain why it's been helpful. I ended up crying a lot in the sessions I attended - but I always felt more at ease at the end of each one. So my suggestion, for what it's worth, is to give such groups a try.

I am sending waves of love and hope in your direction. All the best.

• Thank you for your reply and honesty. Really appreciated xx

• My husband died on the 17th June. The palliative care team had offered me the chance to meet with their psychologist during his illness, but it was impossible to leave him. They offered again after he died and, although I was sceptical, I have to say that it’s been invaluable beyond measure for me. I don’t know how many sessions I am entitled to have, but I have come away from each one so far feeling such a cathartic release/relief. I would say that if you get offered or can find someone to talk to, you should grab it with both hands. Sending you a big hug.

• Thank you, it's always nice to know when someone has found help, and how it has worked for them. X

• I’m so sorry for your loss . My hubby died 4th july . Like you I read but I had a mini meltdown tonight . I miss him so much . However I have bereavement group on Tuesday . A local group that have also arranged reiki and reflexology . I too have small circle of friends and family thankfully . But no one really understands I feel . Thank goodness for this group in my desperate times . I can reach out as can you  . I’ll let you know how I get on if you would like ? Take care x 

• Be great to know how you get on, please stay in touch.

I feel your pain with you x

• Hi Sad1

You come on her and `waffle` all you like it is what these forums are for. Just keep coming here when you feel you need to offload to someone we all `get it` we've all been there and know what you will be going through and there will be someone who can relate to what you are going through. Have you spoke to Macmillan re their counselling sessions?? You can phone them here or use the chat facility. They can organise telephone counselling sessions with Marie Curie if you feel you need them. I did them back in January this year when I was feeling a bit desperate and they helped. Just having someone phone you once a week or whenever (you can choose when you want them to contact you) helps just having someone phone you who understands and to just have a general chat. My best wishes to you moving forward. 

Vicky x

• Thank you Vicky.

I'll look into the counselling, need to explore more on here. Didn't know about the chat option. 

Hugs xx