I just wasn't prepared!

• 24 replies
  • 32 subscribers

This hurts, I mean physically hurts. 

Its 8 weeks since we got married quickly as my big man, my Andy was so poorly, we had the most perfect day and friends and family couldn't believe how well he looked and got through the day - he used every ounce of energy to make it a perfect lasting memory 
After that day - down hill, it was like he just gave up all and all the fight had gone, 18 days later he passed away on 4 October. 
After finally being diagnosed with cancer of unknown primary in May, after initially being dismissed it was an incidental find back in January, we chose not to know the actual prognosis, not being daft we knew it would only be 6-12 months - he managed 5 months aged only 53.

I wasn't ready for that final few hours, I'm not sure Andy was either, I certainly didn't feel prepared that as soon as the GP said it was time to get him on the 'just in case medicines' that my live was about to be blown to smithereens.

The acute team left at 10.30pm that night, he was calmer and relaxed but I didn't know it would render him unconscious. Had we have done I'm sure we should have said more - his last words to me 'give me a kiss, I love you'  within 40 minutes of the nurses leaving he slipped away while I popped into the living room for 5 minutes - he went while I wasn't there!

To say I'm broken is an understatement, I'm sure all of you that are in this awful club we didn't want to be in know this too. The pain is intense to the point i think I'm going crazy - how can this hurt so much.

I went to the hospice last week that Andy & I attended only once, as his Cancer got hold and he deteriorated so quickly.  I sat with one of the sisters in a sacred space (I'm not religious but certainly now in touch with spirituality more) I explained my pain to her - she said, it's Andy's soul, deep within your heart, he's letting you know he hasn't left you and will be with you always. I guess that made a little sense and gave me some comfort.

I have just started to read a book recommended to me, not that I want a fix as I know there isn't one or any sticking plaster big enough to heal this pain we are all going through. It's called 'It's ok that you're NOT ok' by Megan Divine. I'm only a few pages in as I lose concentration but she really does explain how this pain is and how other people can be so cruel, offering to help then no idea how to help. Not sure how it will develop as I get into it more but it's not just for us, living this nightmare, it maybe good for family & friends to get an understanding what we are going through too. Megan went through a tragic loss of her partner so she 'get's' it! 

I will not be fixed, I won't 'get over it' with time, I won't ever get back to my original life and normality - my life has changed forever, we have been robbed out our futures with the one's we love. I would only go back to that if Andy was here with me but I know he is only here inside my heart now, not physically.

It's nice to know that I can put my feelings on here to all of you and you know, this is our grief journey, not comparable to anyone else, I will own this for as long as I need!

• I have decided to have a memorial bird bath made which can incorporate my darling husband’s ashes.  He loved his garden and the birds and whenever anyone asked him what made him happy he always said the family and my garden so I feel its where he would wish to be.  It also means he will be close to me and I can still ‘speak’ to him.  

It’s such a difficult decision to make when we are struggling with so many emotions. 

• What a lovely idea, I didn’t know you could get such things.

I’ve come to terms with having him home, I actually find it quite comforting now - still no idea where I will scatter his ashes but I’m in no rush, I’m sure he will tell me in time xxx

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I read Megan Divine's book after losing my Mum last year (not to cancer) It just made so much sense. People try to say well meaning things. The point is that it's your grief, not theirs and sometimes I think people say things to try and make themselves feel better.

Not long after losing Mum, my wonderful partner was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Went through chemo, radiotherapy and a major whipple operation in March this year. In June got the all clear and was cancer free. Is currently waiting to go to a hospice as the cancer has spread to internal organs and nothing can be done.

I'm devastated, angry and sad. We had so many plans and feel that has all been taken away. There have been mistakes and missed opportunities to pick this up. I'll always wonder if things would have been different. Having both had awful previous relationships to be planning to spend the rest of your life with someone was so special. And now we only have weeks left to spend as much time together as we can.

Grief is the price we pay for love. It hurts like hell and life will never be the same again. At the same time, my partner said to be the other day they want me to be happy and the fact that we met and this has happened mustn't spoil that.

Its so very tough. I have great friends who can't believe this is happening and are in shock. I just need to get through the next few days and weeks. Lots of wonderful memories and we crammed a lot into our time together.

It's your grief and you need to take it at your own pace, do what is right for you. And cherish all the wonderful times that you had together.xx

• Live can be so cruel to the nicest people.
    I'm so sorry to hear what you are now going through.

We were the same, we met in later life but wow, did we cram so much into those 10 years and make so many memories. I'm so glad we did as the photos that keep popping up as daily reminders is a little comfort.

I feel we have been robbed of our future together, at the moment I can't see a future without my Andy in it with me and that really, really hurts.

I miss him terribly, every minute of everyday. This time of years is hard on us all - I'm sick to death of hearing happy bloody Christmas but then take a rain check as Andy loved Christmas so everything I am doing, just me and my 8- year old Mum will be in memory of my big man, my husband, Andy (yes, I will open the fizz at 5am as he used to do!)

Sending lots of love to you xxx