I just wasn't prepared!

• 24 replies
  • 32 subscribers

This hurts, I mean physically hurts. 

Its 8 weeks since we got married quickly as my big man, my Andy was so poorly, we had the most perfect day and friends and family couldn't believe how well he looked and got through the day - he used every ounce of energy to make it a perfect lasting memory 
After that day - down hill, it was like he just gave up all and all the fight had gone, 18 days later he passed away on 4 October. 
After finally being diagnosed with cancer of unknown primary in May, after initially being dismissed it was an incidental find back in January, we chose not to know the actual prognosis, not being daft we knew it would only be 6-12 months - he managed 5 months aged only 53.

I wasn't ready for that final few hours, I'm not sure Andy was either, I certainly didn't feel prepared that as soon as the GP said it was time to get him on the 'just in case medicines' that my live was about to be blown to smithereens.

The acute team left at 10.30pm that night, he was calmer and relaxed but I didn't know it would render him unconscious. Had we have done I'm sure we should have said more - his last words to me 'give me a kiss, I love you'  within 40 minutes of the nurses leaving he slipped away while I popped into the living room for 5 minutes - he went while I wasn't there!

To say I'm broken is an understatement, I'm sure all of you that are in this awful club we didn't want to be in know this too. The pain is intense to the point i think I'm going crazy - how can this hurt so much.

I went to the hospice last week that Andy & I attended only once, as his Cancer got hold and he deteriorated so quickly.  I sat with one of the sisters in a sacred space (I'm not religious but certainly now in touch with spirituality more) I explained my pain to her - she said, it's Andy's soul, deep within your heart, he's letting you know he hasn't left you and will be with you always. I guess that made a little sense and gave me some comfort.

I have just started to read a book recommended to me, not that I want a fix as I know there isn't one or any sticking plaster big enough to heal this pain we are all going through. It's called 'It's ok that you're NOT ok' by Megan Divine. I'm only a few pages in as I lose concentration but she really does explain how this pain is and how other people can be so cruel, offering to help then no idea how to help. Not sure how it will develop as I get into it more but it's not just for us, living this nightmare, it maybe good for family & friends to get an understanding what we are going through too. Megan went through a tragic loss of her partner so she 'get's' it! 

I will not be fixed, I won't 'get over it' with time, I won't ever get back to my original life and normality - my life has changed forever, we have been robbed out our futures with the one's we love. I would only go back to that if Andy was here with me but I know he is only here inside my heart now, not physically.

It's nice to know that I can put my feelings on here to all of you and you know, this is our grief journey, not comparable to anyone else, I will own this for as long as I need!

• Claireh and Chelseabluegirl,

I too have gone with the photos all around the house. I've a mix: individual, the two of us, children, and family. Likewise, not to create a shrine but to remind me of the beautiful smile. In some of the ones, we are both in, even I'm smiling. That never came easy! 

I like to look at them and remember the great times. I do sometimes have a wee tear in my eyes when I look and speak to them but they do help being up on the walls.

Take care,

WDJ

• And how our emotions can change every minute of any day.

Today I came home, looked at the pictures, cried, and thought is this the right thing to do? They are all over the place. I felt so bad even thinking should I have them there.

It's just horrendous.

Take care,

WDJ

• hi, I remember being at 6 weeks, horrendous, I feel for you.  I have a journal which I bought on Amazon, called Letters to my husband in Heaven.  I used to write to him a lot, now its when I’m feeling I need to, when I look back I can see how well ai have origressed in my new life, I don’t rant so much 

• Sorry never finished.  The journal really helped me.  I have a few photos around of us and have his ashes in a beautiful stone heart. 

My daughter hates to see the heart so when she is coming he has to go in the cupboard (I always say dirty Joy)

It does get better. it’s just getting used to a new life that we didn’t think would happen for at least another 29/30 years.

Take care

• Thank you Chelseabluegirl, I have started my journal and write to Andy everyday, often asking what he thinks about something too.
    I talk to him everyday, i have the photo everywhere and we have a large canvas picture of us both on the stairs so I say nite nite and morning everyday. One of my dogs lays on the landing just starting at it, sure he thinks Dad is coming back, as do I.

I don't have Andy's ashes yet, I have asked the funeral directors to hang on to them until i decide what he would want me to do with them - originally and in our Wills we have that we will be scattered back in Nottingham where my late Dad is, but we moved to rural Wales so i feel I need him close. Not sure  could have jewellery made either as that feels a little like splitting him up!

Andy was only 53 and I'm only 52, I can't see a future at the moment without him and the thought of maybe another 30 odd years without him rips me apart daily.

xxxx

• hi, I didn’t actually collect Robs ashes for almost a year and like you wasn’t keen on splitting him up but have booked to take part of him to Spain in May to scatter.

Rob was 54 although i’m older i understand what you mean but all I can say it does get easier but our life’s will never be the same again.

X

• Hi Claireh

1. We are moving along on the same track as your Andy died on Oct 4th and Juan Luis on Oct 3rd. I read everyone goes on their own grief journey but I can see time line wise we are pretty aligned. I got the Megan Devine book you mentioned. So far the most useful is to write a diary and . I used to write a diary all my youthful life and stopped once I met my husband A few weeks ago I read a snippet of Alan Rickmans diary andgot inspired to start again. So just before my husband died. I was writing again . 
    • . I am back to work so can be 100% managing my team, getting results, all very nice thank you,
    • Back in England, back in Spain,  32 years, together, every day wanting to keep his memory alive and be a better person following his example.
    • He was such a kind loving person, our kids have been robbed. Will try to aim high as he was sky high as the best family guy and friends to all
    • Sorry to go on. Will continue in my diary 
  • We haven't done anything with the ashes yet either. I have them. But no plan. 

• I find the whole thing with the ashes to be one of  the hardest things if I'm honest.

I thought I knew exactly the thing to do and the place they'd be scattered. But can I let them go? Not at all.

I just can't let them go for now.

WDJ

• I did nothing with the ashes for a year. On the 1st anniversary I scattered them, near his football ground. I kept some back and have had jewellery made. 

There's no one way though, that's just what I did. 

Hope that this weekend is as good as it can be

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate