Six months on …..

• 33 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I haven’t posted for a while but I have been reading all your comments.

6 months ago, Ian died suddenly and unexpectedly only 7 weeks after his initial diagnosis. At first the grief was so raw that I cried several times a day, every day. Now I’m finding the tears do not come so frequently but the grief has turned into a profound sense of loss, loneliness and sadness. It feels deeper and much more painful in a way that I can’t really put into words. 

I find myself continually thinking of the way Ian’s future was so cruelly and quickly taken from him, leaving me in a kind of living ‘limbo’ with no future to plan or look forward to. I have no family or close friends near by but the thought of moving is just out of the question at the moment. Everything is just as Ian left it although my house is not a home anymore and I try to spend most of my time away from it.

Close family have been very supportive but already I feel as if I am losing my identity as a person. I am now the mum, grandma, sister or aunty that has nowhere else to go ……With Ian I was part of a couple with their own identity and plans but now all of that has gone for ever,  leaving me as just the shell of the person I used to be.

• Hi. I was really anxious about collecting Daves ashes. I had bought two scatter tubes (one large for scattering his ashes when I am ready and a smaller one for me to keep) and the undertakers put the ashes in them ready for me to collect. I was surprised that it actually felt good to have him back home with me , although I was shocked at how heavy the ashes are - which is daft really as he was a 12 stone man.

I think none of us know how each step will affect us until we do it but I know that for me collecting the ashes was much easier than I anticipated. Now I say good night to Dave every night as the little tube is next to our bed. It’s strangely comforting. 
    Just do it when you feel you’re ready  x x

• Jillybean74,

thanks for this message I’m collecting Craig tomorrow just want him home where he belongs & back with me.

Tracey xx

• I would agree with Jillybean74. When I eventually managed to collect Chris’ ashes- it took me two attempts but I wanted him home for Christmas last year- I couldn’t get over how much comfort I got from having him here. And a year on, he’s still here until I decide what the next step is. I move them between a spot looking out at the garden, which was a favourite thing he did or having them at the side of the bed. I know some will find it strange but it works for me and at the end of the day, this awful journey has made me think about what works for me to help me along the way. 
    Tracey, I’ll be thinking of you today. Take care

Sending hugs 

Jane

xx

• Nothing strange Jane, every morning and evening I give my Sharon’s urn a kiss and cuddle, it is simply the closest I can be with her at the moment. I also cannot say when I will be able to say the tCrye is right to have the ashes interned. Thankfully we have purchased a plot where it is reserved and and no pressure to bury and ashes in it. Like Tracey today is two months since I lost my one true Cryve Sharon CryCryBroken heart

best Wishes

Paul

• As I’ve said before on here collecting Gordons cremains was the easiest thing and I immediately felt better for him being back by my side. He lies by my side and I touch the box as I go to sleep and it comforts me so very much. I wish for everyone to feel that peace.

June x

• Hi, after reading of your and everyone’s experience, I’ve contacted funeral directors to arrange to arrange to bring Mart home for Christmas.  Listening, to how much comfort it has brought you all, I’m hopeful it’ll help me, although, I’m dreading Christmas Eve, more than anything, that was our night. 
    I’ll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks…….Linda x

• Thanks Jane, it’s been emotional but glad Craig is back home with me Cry

Tracey xx

• Well done Tracey, it is a big step you have taken, I hope over the next couple of days you will be happy you did so.

Best Wishes,

Paul x

• Paul,

very happy he is back with me reassuring & comforting in equal measure xx

• June,

I love your use of the word cremains rather than ashes - brought a smile to my face. Agree now Craig is home it is comforting & reassuring in equal measure, already started to talk to him but just like my cat he’s not answered me yet!
    Tracey xx