Husband’s last few days: worrying about thing I can’t solve.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 38 replies
  • 29 subscribers

After end of chemo, lung cancer surged back and killed my lovely H, age 65. Early April. He was admitted to hospice 2 days before he died. Neither he nor I realised that the tummy swelling and ankle swelling and extreme  sleepiness were signs of end of life. We thought the fatigue was just post chemo. Looking back...I don’t know why we didn’t clock it. I did realise this was a new phase but I did not understand that the changes would accelerate so very fast.
His last day conscious before dying was grumpy and odd.  He was badly disturbed the following night and died the next day . Myself and our boys were there as closely as covid restrictions allowed.  I feel endlessly worried about his distress that last night.  I know he had not accepted he was about to die, on the previous day. Was he frightened? Obviously there’s nothing I can do about it, but how to come to terms with this worry ?

i tried asking the hospice for more information from doctors’ notes but there is no evidence in there that anyone comforted him  

Grief is so overwhelming: I had no idea. I am trying to return to my technical lonely work but it’s too difficult to concentrate. I’d much prefer to be doing something easier and with other people around. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Mandy 

try cup of tea warm shower go to bed same time every nite  I still wake up but not as much  and no bingeing in the middle of nite does not help it’s took me ages to stop eating chocolate in the middle of nite 

And what will all say try to stay busy one thing at a time one day at a time 

take care

martin x

• FormerMember

Hi jsbach

for me going back to work kept me in a routine the estate seemed to take for ever to do but after four months I had sorted out 

it’s like being on a hamster wheel  then it stops you have some bad days that are dark  and goods days and guilty days 

I had some the other day but all of us are on here are here for each other 

take care 

Martin x

• FormerMember

Hi Martin 

Thank you for your reply, I will definitely try this, it’s hard to function with not much sleep, and I’m normally a person who sleeps well. 

Take care

Mandy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Akela2516

Thankyou Alison xx

• FormerMember

Hi Mandy 

so did I before not lot would wake me up I worked out I woke up same time every nite the time I came home from hospital so now I try to keep in a routine  I hope it helps you  it been five months for me now 

take care 

Martin x

• Hi Mandy,

I bought a new mattress topper and electric blanket to be as comfy and snug as possible.

I wake a 3 ISH every morning. Not sure why. I try to read for a few minutes to get back to sleep but Ric used to wake then! 

Hope the sleep improves soon 

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Akela2516

Hi Alison 

I wake up about 4.30 most mornings even on the weekend, been thinking of buying a mattress topper, perhaps that’s something I should try too. 

Thank you for all the advice I’m definitely going to try different things.

Mandy xxx 

• FormerMember

I wish I could help you, but thank you for sharing.  Some days I think I am beginning to come to terms with his absence, other days, not at all. But I don’t think your strong grief means you aren’t a strong person. Don’t beat yourself up Sheila. Strong emotions are not weakness.Best of luck with extra job.