Physical effect of grief - missed periods

• 6 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hello - I lost dad 4 weeks ago, and prior to that I had a relentless 4 weeks of caring for him at home with mum, and then the lead up to the funeral was busy busy busy (never expected that)

we are post funeral now and I’ve realised ive not had my period. I’m definitely not pregnant. 

im wondering if grief can effect the body?

• HI Daughter2024 welcome to the forum. I agree that grief can result in physical changes and symptoms for us and it sounds like thats whats happening for you. I lost my Mum very suddenly more than 25 years ago now and I went into an early menopause as a result of the Grief and I was in my very early forties when that happened and like you it started with periods which became erratic. So in answer to your query i do believe that Grief can and does affect the body in physical ways. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Granny59 for replying. That must have a shock to the system to lose your mum so quickly, and i guess when you put it like that, I can see how grief might effect the body! Think i'll make a GP appointment. My husband thinks i might have some trauma as the last few weeks of Dad were intense to say the least.

many thanks again.

• Grief can have a huge impact on the body. I’m in the same situation as you. My dad died 3 weeks ago and I helped my mum nurse him for 4 weeks before he passed. I didn’t miss any periods but I had very very light ones that is unusual for me. Stress puts huge pressure on your health- I’ve felt sick, headaches, complete exhaustion, confusion etc. which will get better with time but just know your not alone xxx

• Hi Sarah, thanks for this xx There's so much pressure on all parts of our body i'm realising. I think i'm back into my rythym now, and i think it was just all the stress of it all.

Sorry about your Dad too. I hope you've been able to process it all and have some space.

Take care

• Hi Daughter2024, 

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting about this, I feel like the physical effects of grief are much less talked about than the emotional impact. I’m in a similar situation having lost my dad a few weeks ago, and it’s just nice to know that I’m not alone. Xxx 

• Deffo not alone! Comfort nibbling is my next thing i need to conquer. September does feel a bit like a new chapter though to get a handle on looking after me. Sorry to hear about your dad too, such tough times x sending best wishes