How do I make my husband understand what I am going through?

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

I lost my mum to metastasized breast cancer on the 3rd of December 2023.  A little bit of context. She had battled it for 6 years. I  didn’t get to say goodbye, she passed away 3 hours before I  landed. I live in the UK and she lived in SA and I  was traveling back to say goodbye but I missed her. It’s always been my mum and I, my dad left when I was 5 and I don’t have any brothers or sisters. I also don’t have any living grandparents left.  I am sad. I really miss her.

The issue: my husband doesn’t understand what I  am going through. He doesn’t seem to acknowledge that this massive life event has happened to me. Don’t get me wrong he isn’t mean or cruel but some of his comments when I don’t feel like exercising or being social make me think he isn’t acknowledging how I  am feeling even though I have told him. I am extremely sad and I miss her so much it physically hurts. I have started having panic attacks which I have never had before which I have told him. I am struggling to find joy in the things  I used to like. On the face of it I am ok. I am back at work (although I am not at my best which causes its own anxiety), I get out of bed every day,  I  am trying to exercise, we are moving forward with renovation plans etc. However, I feel like I am just surviving and that my cup is extremely full, almost overflowing. I often have a quick cry when talking about my mum and I am dreading upcoming Mothers Day and her birthday.

He isn’t very emotional and I don’t think he has experienced a loss like this in his life. How do I make him understand what I  am going through?

• Hello   I am so sorry that your post has gone unanswered and also for the loss of your mum - it's a difficult time and it does take a long while for you to fully recover from the loss - it took me almost a year. As humans we are all different and your husband is no doubt confused as to how to react in these trying times. May I make a few suggestions for some extra help:

* Contact Cruse Bereavement Care  This is a national charity for supporting bereaved people - 0808 808 1677 or www.cruse.org.uk (if you are in Scotland 0845 600 2227 or wwwcrusescotland.org.uk)

* At a Loss - This is a directory of bereavement services and is at www.ataloss.org.uk

* Give our support line a call on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) You will find someone there who can give you that extra support you need at a trying time like this.

I hope this helps - if I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Liquidf1....

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mum.  Nothing can prepare us for the loss of a parent. It really is just awful.....I truly feel your pain and understand as I lost my lovely Dad 5 weeks ago today. I totally understand what you mean when you say it's a physical pain. I also had a few panicky moments, but thankfully these seem to have passed&are now replaced by total sadness.

My husband, like yours, I don't think understands how I feel. I'm functioning because I have to. I have 2 children&a dog so I have to get up and do school lunches, dog walks, school stuff, work....... I went back to work this week. Only working from home at the moment but due back in the office next week...dreading it. I feel so sad inside, but because dinners, washing, ironing, kids, house running ok I think he thinks I'm OK now. I've started to take myself off to cry in private....and if he does see me upset he asks if I'm looking/reading sad stories on here. No, I'm missing my Dad. He's still got both of his parents. 

Sorry, I've not given any advice, but just wanted you to know you're not alone in feeling like you do and maybe not having a very understanding husband. Is it just a man thing? I swear if I hear you'll have good and bad days one more time I'll scream. I've yet to have a 'good' day. I'm heartbroken. 

I'm not really sure how we make them understand how we feel. I'm not sure unless you've been through this you can really get it. 

I hope you can find a way, if you do-please share! 

Wishing you love and strength on your grief journey. Take it a day at a time, and if its really bad...an hour at a time. Xx