Mum’s Death Wasn’t Peaceful

• 12 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I have been devastated by the final hours of my mums life. She had terminal cancer and I was helping to care for her at home. She eventually lost the ability to swallow so was put on a syringe driver. She then became barely conscious. However was still complaining of pain. Her breathing changed early in the evening and she was moving around with a look of discomfort on her face. We called the community palliative care team and the nurse came out. She said mum looked in pain. They gave her more morphine but it didn’t settle her. For four hours we had to sit and offer comfort and hold her hand as she panted like she was running a marathon. Her heat was racing she was very agitated and sweating badly. We called the palliative nurse back but she said there wasn’t sign off to give her any more morphine we had to watch desperately waiting for an hour to pass for her to be allowed another dose. Then suddenly she stopped breathing, head turned to the side eyes opened and she was gone. I want to know if anyone else has been through a death that wasn’t peaceful. Is it normal? Was she suffering? Should she have been able to have more pain relief? I am tortured by it. All I have experience of reading about are mostly deaths of people slowly slipping away peacefully  away as if to sleep, or Cheyenne stokes breathing fast then slow. Not the horrendous ordeal we went through. 

• Hello Emma551, welcome to the forum, i am so sorry  for your loss and understand what a terrible thing it is to watch a loved one pass away. The nurses would have given your mum all the morphine they were allowed to. Emma i was in healthcare for many years and cared for many people with cancer at their end of life as well as three family members and well over half of them were in a lot of pain at the end and it is not only physical pain but often the emotional pain of leaving their family, seeing their family so upset or the fear of dying as well. The belief that everyone passes away peacefully is not true for most and can also take days or longer too, Emma i have read your post and your mums passing though heart breaking for you and your family, was not unusual. my sincerest condolences to you and your family, please take care.

Eddie 

• Oh Emma551 I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dear Mum. Like you we were with my lovely Dad when he passed away 11 days ago in our local hospice. I was apprehensive about being with him at the end but couldn't imagine him going and not being there. I'd googled end of life/what to expect over and over, but nothing can truly prepare you for watching your loved one pass away. Like your Mum my Dad didn't leave us peacefully either. Fortunately, we were in the hospice&they were managing his pain with the driver&had 'topped him up'......but him leaving us was still very distressing and at one point his eyes shot open,he looked straight through us and looked evil. His breathing became very laboured and erratic. We are now 11 days in and the memories of that night are already blurring.  I think it's your brains way of protecting you and helping you get through these dark days. I do hope your memory of your Mum's distressing passing does fade and you can accept that she's no longer in pain now and is at peace. I wish you lots of love and strength....take care. Xx

• Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I feel so guilty talking about my mums last hours when it’s so personal but im struggling to process it and thought asking other people might help. So I appreciate you replying to me. Yes one of the last things I said into mums ear during those hours was that she deserved to be free from pain, the few months from diagnosis to her death had raged a war on her. I’m so sorry for your terrible loss it really is true heartbreak to lose a parent. Sending you lots of love and strength too. 

• Thank you...I'm having a really bad day today&feel so sad. Like your Mum my Dad only had 2 months from diagnosis to passing. Cancer is a wicked, wicked disease. It stripped him of all his dignity, weighed under 7 stone, had falls due to mobility and broke both shoulders, infections, hospital stays, bowel issues&accidents, pressure sores...he was unable to feed himself, dress or wash in the end. Absolutely heartbreaking to witness and I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you didn't witness yourself. 

My poor Dad also 'got lost in the system' so was sent home with my Mum, a pile of leaflets and booklets on lung cancer, told no treatment and we'll be in touch. Only no one did get in touch. Never experiencing anything like this before we didn't know who to contact or what help was available. This all makes me feel so sad and we feel as a family we let him down. 

I'm hoping as it's such early days all the emotions I'm feeling at the moment are 'normal' and all part of the grieving process.

I hope you have a good support network of family and friends to help you over the coming weeks/months.

Take care of yourself. Xx

• I’m so sorry and unfortunately yes same here. Mum suffered strokes, broken bones, chemo side effects, digestion issues, a missed DVT, blood clots on the lungs. The care she received was so poor as though she was a lost cause and left to die. Hence bringing her home to look after her we were done with the NHS and all their failings.I am 8 months on from her death I’m functioning but it is a baseline of sadness, anger and upset I am trying to manage every day. Sending you love and strength on your grief journey x

• Hello Emma55i and Theboys, I am truly sorry sorry for the loss and heartbreak you are both going through and  saddened but not surprised by the dreadful "care" they received. I too lost my mum to lung cancer many years ago, was told at diagnosis, she was happy and active four days earlier, it was untreatable and mum has no more than four months left and you can go home. Apart from painkillers which they wouldn't even deliver, i had one nurse visit once just before she passed, i was pretty clueless as to how best to care for mum so had to rely on cancer advice leaflets to guide me, you can imagine how emotional that experience was, but thankfully, and i can't explain it but mums time was better than i could have wished for up until her last 2 weeks, when it was awful. i didn't  know if i was doing the right things, had no one to turn too, got no response from calls for help, except the one 5 minuite visit, I tried to be brave for mum but was a total wreck when by myself. I lost my partner and job as i put everything into looking after mum. Things will get better it takes time and support and a lot of tears but we find a way to move on. best wishes to you both, take care,

Eddie

• I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through. My Mum passed away from lung cancer 9 months ago. I was totally unprepared for her last hours, she became very agitated and distressed, seemed angry, and was like she was a stranger to me. I could never have imagined it would be like that. And heartbreaking to see her in so much pain. I wish I had been forewarned so I could have better understood this was because of the final stages of the lung cancer and not because of any changes in her as my Mum. Those images and memories are still with me, but other happy memories of my lovely Mum are now what come first into mind when I think about her. With virtual hugs xx

• Im so sorry to hear about this.

I’m going through something similar right now and looking for comfort from other experiences to help me through this. My mum was diagnosed with aggressive cancer in the pancreas, liver and lungs after going into hospital with breathing difficulties just before Xmas.

the various test me she’s had hasn’t concluded where the primary source of cancer started so a lot of unanswered questions but told us it was advanced and aggressive.

We took her home yesterday (Friday) for end of life care and it’s painful seeing her suffering in her final moments. She has a driver and relevant top-ups to ease the pain. It’s heartbreaking seeing her like this as she slips in and out of consciousness and seems like she gasping for breathe.

i just can’t believe how quick this has happened from her diagnosis to end of life and dreading how ill support my elderly dad who’s in heart failure and continue without having my mum there with me  

• Hello Bluebird84, I am so sorry and saddened to hear about your mum and understand the distressing and difficult time you and your family are going through. I know it's awful seeing your mum like this, but she is at home with her family and she is loved, the medication will control the pain but also make her sleepy and tired and as your mum gets weaker and, having lung cancer, breathing can get more difficult. Bluebird84 even though your mum may be unconscious she could be aware so hold her hands and talk to her, try to reassure her and tell her how much you love her, losing my mum was heart breaking as she was also my best friend and life was difficult without mum there for some time, but we find a way to move on. I wish there was something i could do to help, please take care.

Eddie

• So sorry for your loss, I lost my mum 2 months ago too. I feel life takes the good people.