My Dad

• 5 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I lost my dad on Sunday after 7 weeks diagnosis, 3 weeks his first chemo treatment that caused severe side effects which now I assume were sepsis.  After spending since last Wednesday in hospital the death cert says sepsis, bowel obstruction & metastasis colon cancer.  I feel trauma from his time in hospital,  mine and my families from watching it all I honestly don’t know how I’m ever going to get over this.  I’m so angry & have so many questions but nothing will bring him back.  I have a family at home myself but I honestly feel I cannot do normal life anymore x i just  don’t know what to do x 

• My heart goes out to you, My Dad died on 2nd July 8 weeks after he was diagnosed , the last few days of his life were truly awful to watch somebody die before your eyes and I have seen things I can never unsee and feel exactly  the same that I will never get past how it all happened so fast, from him first having symptoms to his death was just under 4 months. Sometimes its hard to believe it has actually happened You are not alone, , Please just take one day at a time and let yourself feel every emotion you have. I am not much further ahead of you in your grief journey so don't have much wisdom to share but look after yourself xx

• Hi,

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad 5 months ago, we got 7 months with him from diagnosis to losing him. His last few weeks were awful and the last few days we spent with him were in hospital and it was cruel for him. 
    As mentioned, take one day at a time and let feel the emotions, whether it’s anger, tears, laughter, it takes time. It’s a big shock and a big loss, you need time. I miss him more than anything and it hurts, it’s still surreal but all you can do is take it day by day.

Take Care x 

• Thanks so much  and  for getting back to me.  We have dads funeral on Friday I feel I have put every emotion away as I’ve had so much to organise and be strong for my mum.  I don’t feel anything at the moment I have no interest in things I don’t want to talk to people about stupid day to day things I just feel numb. Sorry it’s taken me so long to write back It’s kind of you both to respond xx 

• Hi,

Good to hear from you. The funeral will be hard, my Dad’s was 5 months yesterday and I can remember it like yesterday and still can’t believe I have been to my Dad’s funeral. It is still very raw for you, I too didn’t want to speak to people, especially people that didn’t know my Dad. We miss him so much, my children miss him so much, I just want him here and ask, why? Why did this happen to us. 
    Day by day and please come on here anytime, we have all lost someone we love very much and understand the ache. Celebrate Dad on Friday, somehow you will find the strength to get through it. Xx 

• I will be thinking of you today , its a very very hard day and can totally relate to trying to be strong for your Mum , I am in the same boat and as an only child  and it is so difficult to try to keep everything going and being strong for everyone else, the numbness and sadness is the worst, sending strength to you x