It's not about me

• 21st April

Exhausting and emotional day. Up until yesterday mum was aware and coherent, but thats all changed. I feel i now understand my mum's actions last night. I'm sure she was saying goodbye to me. She may still be here physically, but my mum has gone. 

Had a phone call this morning from the hospice, mum had become very confused and not aware of where she is. They didn't want us to be alarmed when we arrived, it…

• 20th April

Mum was worn out today, had so many visitors, 12 in all, too many really. That's the down side to having open visiting, at one point there were 7 of us. Everyone means well, and it's lovely that they want to see mum, but it's just so tiring for her. 

Mum's room is lovely, with views over the garden, but because of the pain she is in she couldn't turn her head to see it, so the nurse did the next best thing…

• 19th April

Long day at work today, got so much to do, feels like I've put it first, but need to spend some time helping sort things for an audit. Some unexpected rule changes have come to light  and s**t  could be hitting the fan. Failing the audit could mean problems for us, big problems, so selfishly I'm thinking long term. Can't afford to have to think about having to find another job. Managed to go a little early, so got to…

• 18th April

Mum was transferred to a hospice today, it's a short stay unit, usually for a couple of weeks. If her symptoms plateau it's likely she will be moved to a nursing home, but they won't move her if her condition worsens. I don't want her to go to a nursing home, so I'm struggling with the alternative. 

We still have not received any results from tests, so are still filling in the blanks ourselves.…
  • 17th April

Disappointed I wasn't at hospital this afternoon when lady from hospice came to speak to mum & my brother. I would have liked to hear first hand what's on offer, I was supposed to but my brother didn't call me. Have found he hasn't been taking everything in & mum is dosed up on morphine so not sure of full facts. Hospice can only take people for 2 weeks apparently, but mum & brother have contradicted themselves. If more…