Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Neuroendocrine Cancer: Hurry up and wait

When I was diagnosed with metastatic Neuroendocrine Cancer on 26 July 2010, I just wanted them to hurry up and fix my body so I could get back to normal. That's what happens to cancer patients with distant metastases is it not? My expectations of what should happen turned out to be wildly inaccurate and in hindsight, I was also wildly naive. You see, with Neuroendocrine Cancer, particularly well-differentiated, low or…

• Did you hear the one about the constipated NET Patient?

It’s a joke right?  Not really and it’s not very funny either!

NET Cancer is very heavily associated with diarrhea, either as a symptom of one of the NET Syndromes (yes there is more than one …..) or as a result of surgery or certain other treatments.  Occasionally, these symptoms and side effects can all combine to make it quite a nasty side effect; and for some a debilitating condition.

In my blog on…

• Neuroendocrine Cancer - were you irritated by your misdiagnosis?

Look on any site about Neuroendocrine Tumours (NETs) and you'll find the term IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) frequently mentioned. That's because it's a common misdiagnosis for many before being formally diagnosed with NETs.

But what exactly is IBS, why is it such a common misdiagnosis for many NET patients and how can these misdiagnoses be prevented or reduced in future?  I just spent a few hours doing an online…

• Please vote for my blog

Hi there - I've been nominated for 6 awards in the WEGO Health Activist Awards 2016.  The 6 categories are:

Best in Show Blog

Best in Show Facebook

Best in Show Twitter

Health Activist Hero

Rookie of the Year

Best Community

Many of my blogs are on this community site and many of them reference back to Macmillan.  My home page also contains references to Macmillan who featured some of my blogs as a guest.  I hope you…

• Neuroendocrine is not your average cancer but it can be pretty 'mean'

Most people have perceptions of cancer in their heads, fairly fixed perceptions too.  They think about all the stuff they see daily on TV, in the main press, and people they know.  The 'big cancers' set the scene.

Most doctors know about the big cancers.  They also know how to treat them, many of them have a fairly fixed regime of surgery/chemotherapy/radiotherapy.  Many survivors will have side effects…