Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Stop talking about it, just go do it!

20160816_143529
    Medicine!

"yes, we must do this one day ......." and then we don't! We're all guilty of it aren't we?

For years Chris and I have discussed travelling around the coast of Scotland and we're just back from a fantastic holiday where we saw some wonderful scenery. And we did the Edinburgh Tattoo on the way there! Yet another ....... "we must do this one day......."

I've even…

• Not every illness is visible

I personally don’t see myself as ‘disabled’ but I do have an invisible illness. I’m fit, can walk for miles, I even look quite healthy.  However, I live with the consequences of Neuroendocrine Cancer. These consequences differ from person to person but I know that some people with this disease have even met the criteria to be officially classed as ‘disabled’ through government schemes.  Judging…

• Living with Cancer - are you a survivor?

I don't normally use the word 'survivor' in relation to my incurable cancer, it just doesn't seem to sit right despite the fact that I'm a 'glass half full' kind of guy. I always thought it only really applied to those who were in full remission. However, I was studying the term 'Survivorship' and found that there might be something in it for those living with incurable and long term cancer. …

• I'm still here!

Six years ago today I was diagnosed with metastatic Neuroendocrine Cancer.  Until my 5th anniversary last year, I hadn't thought much about how (or if) I should mark these occasions.  I've concluded there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way to handle Cancer milestones which are frequently referred to as 'Cancerversaries'. Last year, I ended up settling for a '5 year' celebratory blog. I didn't think I…

• Exercise and Cancer: Forward is Forward

One of the very first blog posts I wrote was about exercise. Basically I said it was medicine.  I have not changed that view, I really believe it.  All cancer patients should attempt to keep active and this is even more important if you are being treated for long-term cancer. Why? Because keeping active will not only help your physical condition but it will also help you cope mentally. There are numerous pieces of research…