Learning to accept my mum's advanced stomach cancer & beyond

• How to cope with grief

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Its been 10 days since my lovely mum has passed away. The funeral was held and now we have a gaping hole in our family. The thing is mum was so ill for 6 months before she passed that I felt like I lost her then. I have been very busy planning the funeral and also moving home and I guess I have been filling voids. Will the power of the grief hit me one day and nearly wipe me off my feet? I thought I would cry more, I…

• Mum has passed

FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Yesterday at 5pm mum reached the end of her journey and her battle with stomach cancer. She fought so hard and noone could be prouder She was in the hospice a total of 3 weeks and a day, on the whole the level of care was good but we do feel the morphine doses she was given were questionable. We did raise this with the doctor several times who said their philosophy is no pain. The ending was calm and peaceful…
  • Hospice fears - update

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thought I would give you an update on my mum. After many problems at the hospital and dealing with some difficult questions regarding if she wanted ressuitating if she goes into a cardiac arrest, a space comes up at our local hospice and she was well enough to be moved to the Hospice of the Good Shepherd in Chester. The move was quick and in my heart I knew this was the right thing for her and her care, my head was telling…

• Hospice - Why do I fear them so much?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

We went to see the Oncologist a week or so ago and he explained that mum's cancer had spread to around her pelvis and ovaries now, which was causing the acities to build up so quickly (acities for those who dont know is present in mastatic cancers which has spread and is a build up of fluid that makes your tummy legs etc swell - you need to go and have it drained off, it weakens you as you are draining good and bad and…

• Coming towards the end now

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I havent been on here for some time to add a post. After our October 2011 diagnosis of my wonderful mum having 1 year to live with advanced stomach cancer, we enjoyed a really good 9 months of her health improving after a very heavy and intense chemo session from Oct-Jan 2012. We just got stronger and stronger and went on holiday, she returned on 1st October from Lanzarote looking well but her gall bladder (how they found…