KateG's blog

• "The Princess and the Pea"

I am currently going through a "Princess and the Pea" moment. I have absolutely no right to complain and I know how many of you are really suffering I only need to tell my many friends on this site why I am not responding to your postings. This "Princess" has sciatica, which for the uninitiated is a pain radiating from the bum to the knee. This is also a "bummer" because it means this particular princess can only lie…

• Rottweiler under the duvet

I am a lark - rising at 6 o'clock so I'm normally off to bed at around 10 or 10.30pm. I take some heavy duty painkillers to help with joint pain and they have the 'bonus' effect of knocking me out as soon as my head hits the pillow. Oh... how I long for the luxury of an uninterrupted night of sleep but there I am, all snuggled up warm and cosy and well off into the Land of Nod when the 'Rottweiler' strikes. Generally…
  • Opening the lid

I've finally opened the lid and bawled my eyes out. My sister's funeral was held yesterday and we have had a difficult couple of days. On Wednesday we travelled first to Bristol (from Surrey) to drop our dogs off at the kennels then on to Plymouth. We stayed in my sister's bungalow on Wednesday night and met up with her two sons. It was extraordinary being in HER house without her being there. (A bit of back story here…
  • Keeping a lid on it

I have been 'keeping a lid on it' since Saturday morning... but I'm now so all over the place I need to write this down. My sister died suddenly in the early hours of Saturday morning. She was not a young woman and she hadn't been suffering from cancer so I feel unqualified to ask for sympathy when so many of you are suffering. She was 76, very fit for her age, walked everywhere, worked in a charity shop and had hardly…
  • Winter Wedding

This time last year I was awaiting surgery on 8th January for breast cancer. 2008 was a horrible, horrible, year and in some ways I am glad to see the back of it and the grief that came during that year. Not only was I ill (two lots of surgery then radiotherapy) but my mother-in-law contracted C-difficile and died in March. However on the 27th of December there was an occasion of Joy and Hope - the wedding of my youngest…