Coping with both parents gone.

• Horrible Week

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dad passed away last Thursday and I wasn't there. I had gone out for the night, the first time in months. My other two sisters were there, but it doesn't make it any easier.

We have got all the funeral organised and have started clearing out the house. It was heartbreaking taking some things to the tip. Even though we knew it was no good, it didn't make it easier. It's a council rented house and they don't give…

• Monday

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dad hasn't eaten for five days now. He is only having drinks. He's got a syringe driver and he is only accepting pain relief. he doesn't want anything which will prolong his life.

It's heartbreaking to see him like this and I have to fight back tears every time i say goodbye to him. he just wants to be with Mam now and I wish there was a way we could help him.

• Wednesday

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Had to get the doctor out again for Dad. He is so confused, not knowing what he is doing or why. He was a bit more chatty today but not any real conversation. He has been prescribed something to stop his agitation and to help him get a good nights sleep.

One of the carers was in the room when doctor came and I know she looks after Dad, but I think she has too much input into things that don't concern her. She was the…

• Going down hill fast

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dad has been getting worse since last week and it's horrible to watch.

Today we had a meeting with the district nurse and Marie Curie to discuss his care package. The district nurse wanted to reduce the care he was getting, but us and the Marie Curie said that he still needed 24 hour care, She did push for the Marie Curie to cut down their night care from four nights to two. The care team will be in the rest of the…

• Funeral and beyond

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum's funeral was yesterday and everything went according to plan. It made everything more final, she's really not here any more. Dad is not the man he used to be, his brain tumors are affecting his memory.

Before the funeral we were told that the carers would only be coming in during the night and to make his lunch and tea. Last Friday I went up to find him in the sitting room confused with his finger bleeding…