Climbing a Different Mountain

• Home At Last After The Ordeal

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sunday 27th March

Back Home at Last after a long wait in my room for the NGH Pharmacy to send up my drugs. Drain removed (ouch) Shauna my allocated Stoma Nurse assessed my self care with the help of Micky Winfrow who had just popped in (Cheers Mick and thanks for being the first welcome non family face to visit me last Thursday) Dressed and ready by 11.00. Maxine the oher stoma nurse thinks I'm an Ironman having…

• Acceptance and Preparation

FormerMember
    FormerMember

19th March

It's been a week since I hit my lowest point when my op got postponed. Since then I've had another consultation through the NHS, another pre op assessment and plenty of fresh air to clear my head. I have had a few walks including one on Saturday with Graham then yesterday we went over to Andrew's and Micky's house in Shipley Country park for dinner. It was just a shame I was on a low fibre diet…

• New Hospital New Date

FormerMember
    FormerMember

13th March

I've just come back from seeing the consultant at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. I set off at 07.00 to make sure I cleared the traffic and got a parking space for my appointment at 09.00.

The Consultant informed me that he had got me a slot in the operating theatre in the afternoon of the 20th assuring me that the weeks delay will have no impact on my condition whatsoever since I have proberbly…

• Operation Postponed

FormerMember
    FormerMember

12th March

I was due in tomorrow for my operation however BUPA have called to say that I'm not covered for cancer treatment and we just cannot afford to pay this as a private patient.

It's a massive blow when I was all prepared and had also been in for my pre op assessment this morning. My head is just spinning at the moment. I cannot laugh or cry. I find myself just staring into space vacantly.

I have a new…

• Being Colour Blind Can Be a Problem

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think its worth a note on my symptoms of this condition and Colour Blindness.

See I've always had a problem on the snooker table when it comes to red and brown. I have on numerous occasions potted the brown by mistake for the red. Both look the same to me unless I study them closely and compare one with the other. Obviously or not so obvious is the difficulty in spotting blood in faeces which for me I have not noticed…