A booby is a seabird with blue feet

• Bye, boobie! Bye, boobie!

Now it feels as if I have had to say goodbye to my left breast twice. First before surgery, then again today. Because the space somehow refilled with what became a rather large water-filled imitation of the lost breast. Sadly, the ‘water b...
  • Drain, drain, go away! (And don't come back another day, please!)

After my left breast had been removed, the space converted itself into a neat but slightly squishy cushion. So when the nurse announced that she was definitely planning to remove the drain, I was worried that there might be a mini flood. For 5 days, ...
  • Draining drains and tight tights

This is the fourth day of having a ‘drain’ by my side and in my side.  Even at night it has been held close to me, yet at a safe enough distance - like an odd baby or an awful teeny-tiny twin. I don’t want to crush it or to bre...
  • Waking up

When i woke up from the anaesthetic, following my surgery, I noticed that one of my arms and part of my neck had turned bright pink. How strange! It looked like terrible sunburn - as if I had somehow had a long and foolish nap on a really hot be...
  • Yes, Cinderella! You, too, shall go to surgery!

The day previous to my breast surgery, I had made sure that I had done all my housework. Just like Cinderella did, before she set off for her special event. So far, so ‘good’. Unfortunately for me the fairy tale didn’t continue run...