My running challenges - by just another Macmillan fund raiser

• Margate Marathon (5th September)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I was looking forward to running a marathon that i have run before, as in theory I knew the course and how i coped 12 months ago.

My friend Peter came to witness me run so Saturday night turned into a bit of a house warming as he was our first guest. A chinese meal was probably not the best meal to have the night before but it was good.

Due to many factors, we were running behind schedule and as such my normal stress…

• Stevenage Marathon - July 2010

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Where to start with this latest event. I did not really pay too much attention to the description when i booked the race. I later learned that this was a trail race similar to the South Downs experience but over a far less challenging course.

What i failed to understand was that there would be very limited signs on the course and no marshalls, except at the 5 checkpoints. So in order to get round the course you were given…

• South Downs Marathon - June 2010

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Before i state the result of this race there were a few things that played a major factor in the result.

Firstly this was a trail race which means that the course could cover any type of terrain, secondly this race went over 3 significant hills on the south downs. I have attached the course profile which shows the level of ups and downs that i faced on the day. SD Profile

That said i had a great run, i started slowly…

• Halstead Marathon (5 of 10)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The marathon weekend did not start well as our cat Dobby was taken ill unexpectedly and had to be put down. I also had to make the journey on my own as my wife was away at a hen weekend and my other band of supporters all had other plans.

I was surprised and pleased to catch up with Clive, who lives 2 doors from my parents, It was Clive’s first marathon and although we talked about our expectations before the race once…

• Blackpool Marathon (4 of 10)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The Blackpool marathon took place on Sunday 11th April over a two lap course. There were some really unsettling posts on Runners World about this race that dated back some years but my experience was very good and i would consider the 5 hour drive to run it again.

The race itself was promised as a flat fast course, and as such i was really hoping to get under 4 hours for the 1st time, but as always the best made plans…