Blackpool Marathon (4 of 10)

1 minute read time.

The Blackpool marathon took place on Sunday 11th April over a two lap course. There were some really unsettling posts on Runners World about this race that dated back some years but my experience was very good and i would consider the 5 hour drive to run it again.

The race itself was promised as a flat fast course, and as such i was really hoping to get under 4 hours for the 1st time, but as always the best made plans can go wrong.

As is my current thinking I ran without a watch, just running at a comfortable slow pace for the 1st 13 or so miles, I then try to increase the pace as i feel strong in the legs, and was ok until the hilly part of the 2nd lap. I know the course was described as flat but it was not a running track and there will always be hills of sorts. I must stress though compared to Gloucester the hills were nothing.

Unfortunately I missed the 4 hour mark, a was running the last mile (slowly) and i heard a watch alarm and the guy running next to me said that four hours had passed, at that moment i was disappointed, but was also encouraged as the line was less than a mile away and i had roughly 6 minutes to set my 2nd PB of the challenge.

So after a big sprint finish of around 10 strides i crossed the line in 4 hours 4 minutes. I was very pleased with this as it was a warm day and i knocked 3 minutes off my best time.

In light of my pacing issues (slow, faster, slower) am going to run with a watch again so that i can run miles at a predetermined pace.

Thank you Blackpool it was great, next stop Halstead on 9th May

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done!

I can imagine your disappointment just missing 4hrs. I am just about to start running again after many years of almost no exercise. I used to run 20-30 miles a wek and was a keen club runner but I got married - nuff said! But that was 15 years ago and I am embarrased at how little exercise I have done since then.

I realise that I shouldn't have waited until now but better late than never... and so I have decided that now my wife has had breast cancer I will get myself fitter and try to keep myself well for as long as possible. My target is a sub 4hr marathon within a year. I am going to heed your experience and always where a watch!

Are you planning on doing another and getting that sub 4hr? I hope so.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

SORRY! I have read the rest of your blog now and I can see you will be doing 6 more!!! SORRY!

This sounds like one heck of a challenge. Superb effort.