My running challenges - by just another Macmillan fund raiser

• Determined

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am still not quite where i should be but i am enjoying my running again, so it can only get better from here.

I admit i only managed a single 2 hour plus run during May but the upside was it felt good and i could have done more. I have also completed a number of short speed runs, not sure if these will help with an ultra event but as most of these sessions include uphill sprints it must do something.

So on reflection…

• Can i start again?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have to own up, I have not been running and have been in party mode drinking too many beers for someone who is meant to be training for my biggest ever running challenge.

This needs to be rectified or i am never going to make the start line let alone complete a course of 50+ miles. I struggled with the Sussex marathon following inadequate training and know that a longer distance would be impossible.

Therfore it is…

• A long road.....

FormerMember
    FormerMember

That starts with the 1st step. Following my successful (?) 10 marathon challenge of 2010 I needed another challenge to remain motivated and more importantly secure funds for this great charity.

The choices i had were more marathons, Triathlons or Ultra events. I have opted for Ultra events and aim working towards a 100 mile race in March 2012 from Richmond in London to Oxford.

This will not be easy and there is a high…

• the 10th and final marathon

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This was the final event of my 10 marathon challenge but due to a stomach virus I lost over a stone in weight in 3 days. This was not ideal preparation and i was forced to withdraw after taking medical advice.

I am very disappointed with this and it has enhanced my belief that those that are fighting cancer everyday are truely inspiring people.

I felt that i had let this great charity down so i booked the next possible…

• Nottingham Marathon (12th September)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Nottingham was a really good weekend away. We went horse riding on the Saturday and after riding a very “spooky” horse was thinking that I should have been resting rather than riding for 2 hours.

Race day was in my usual fashion chaotic. We had planned our route to the start but with unforseen road closures and diversions (for the marathon) we were stuck in a pretty major jam. Panic started as always but…