Halstead Marathon (5 of 10)

1 minute read time.

The marathon weekend did not start well as our cat Dobby was taken ill unexpectedly and had to be put down. I also had to make the journey on my own as my wife was away at a hen weekend and my other band of supporters all had other plans.

I was surprised and pleased to catch up with Clive, who lives 2 doors from my parents, It was Clive’s first marathon and although we talked about our expectations before the race once it began Clive started strongly and I hope that he enjoyed his first experience.

This was the 1st race that I have used a watch since Cambridge and I was maintaining a very comfortable 9 minute mile pace all the way through to mile 15, Unfortunately it was around that time where everything went wrong. I am still confused by the events that unfolded as my race day preparation was the same as all previous events.

The problem that I am trying to describe was a bloated stomach, which at times had me doubled over with cramps. Thankfully there was a toilet on the course and going made some difference, but it did not go away completely.

What made my experience worse was the fact that my legs were fine, I have always struggled with the final couple of miles but in Halstead I was able to put in a proper sprint finish, it was a shame that I have been out on the course for just under 5 hours.

I was hoping that the halfway point would be memberable for much different reasons.

Anonymous