Hello. I need something hopeful

• 27 replies
  • 92 subscribers

Hi

I got the call today from the gynaecologist to say that the biopsy taken in mid January has revealed cancerous cells.  I had a CT of kidneys and bladder/pelvic area in December to rule out anything there that might be causing bleeding (I’m post menopausal).  That CT plus an internal ultrasound showed thickening of the uterine lining to 15mm.  

Anyway today the doctor said that the December CT did not show any signs of anything anywhere else in the area and nothing outside of the womb.

I’m absolutely terrified.  My husband died of colorectal cancer a year ago and this just feels surreal.

I called Mcmillan today and was directed to this forum which seems really good.  I’ve read a few posts that make me feel worried about the after effects of hysterectomy etc.  Doctor today made it sound like you will be in for 24 hours and then home and feeling back to normal in about 3 weeks.

I have to have a MRI  and a CT of lung before they advise on suggested treatment plan.

I’ve been reading some of the posts on here and I’m now scared stiff of how awful I will feel after surgery and whatever else I might need to have done.

It would be really good to hear from someone who has been through all this and who feels that life is now back to normal.  I’m just so very scared

Thanks

Jacki

• I am sure there are so many people on here who will reassure you. I can only speak from my experience, I am 49 so was pre menopausal when I had my hysterectomy on October 16 last year and am now back to three gym classes a week, I got active again pretty quickly if you are thinking about the physical impact. I am really sorry to hear about your husband, it would definitely be worth using the support line if you feel.you want to talk as I am sure that you are going to be impacted further by losing your husband. 

• Hi Jackie this must be such a blow to you following the loss of your husband but I'm glad you've been directed to this site. I think you must concentrate on your Dr's comments that they are looking at stage 1 and if this is the case often hysterectomy alone is sufficient. Try and take each step at a time. I hope you have plenty support at home it takes a while for it to sink in but you are among friends on here who understand your distress.

• Thank you. That’s so good to hear that you are back to your gym classes again.  I’m not particularly sporty but do like to walk and have a dog.  Living on my own now  I have to walk him a couple of times a day at east.  I can probably call on friends for a few days tho.  I will use the support line if/when I need someone to talk to.  I find it easier to talk to a stranger if I’m honest

Thanks again for your reply you’ve given me hope that there is life after all of this

• Thank you papermoon.  I am so hoping it is stage 1 and that the hysterectomy is enough.  For the next couple of weeks I’m going to try to focus on my work so that I can take a break around the surgery time.  It is a blow following my husband’s passing.  Feel so alone with all of this……….

• I am also single and a foster carer to a 5 year old and I have a dog. I had a dog walker for the first two weeks and then I was able to carefully manage walks. My foster child went into respite for the week of my surgery but then was back after a week and my daughter moved in for a week to help care for her, but then I was fine to manage, I just needed someone to transport her whilst I couldn't drive. You've got this.

• I can only give my own experience: laparoscopic hysterectomy 22/1/22 pm, playing word games in bed on the hospital Wifi by 7pm, stayed in bed with a catheter till 6am 23/1: then immediately out of bed and never got back in. No bleeding and no pain. Didn’t need any pain relief once the catheter was out, I sat in a comfy chair by the window and watched the sun rise, walked up and down the corridor to the nurse station and read. Went home early afternoon 23/1 and went out straight away for a gentle 5 minute stroll. Slept fine, no pain, walked 5 mins twice a day every dsy from then, gradually increasing one then the other. Started walking with my dog (off lead) from about day 4. Was walking up to 20-40 mins twice a day by 2 weeks post op. Went to church two weeks post op, also out for lunch and shopping at Tesco. Listened to my body when I felt like doing more, and also when I needed to rest. I didn’t lift too much or bend too much. Some people’s recoveries.may take longer, depending on general health and fitness, but I’m sharing my experience to hopefully encourage you that your doctors weren’t giving you an unreasonable timeline. 

• Thank you so much. This group has made me feel less alone. I'm in tears right now 

• You have no idea how much this has helped me MarmiteFan. I need to believe this is not a death sentence.  Sitting here in tears because you have shown me it doesn't need to be. Thank You

• Hi there Jacki

Welcome to this group, but at same time I'm sorry to had to join, you are not alone and you will soon have many other replies and good wishes from other ladies having gone through the same or about to, we can all help each other. 

What you are feeling right now is completely normal, I too felt it was my death sentence to be told I had endometrial cancer, I'm happy to say that 2 years on and I'm through and in good health. Please click on my username to read a timeline and ask any questions.

The news that the scan was clear is already a positive start, hang onto this. My hysterectomy was not as bad as I initially thought, a bit of discomfort and didn't sleep well but rested and gentle walks every day from around day 2. You will need to call on those friends to walk the dog, and should have somebody stay with you if poss first few days as you cannot and should not do anything, I was advised by medics not to even lift the kettle. But a bit of forward planning and you will get through this.

Hope all goes well with a favourable outcome. Best wishes x

Madesp 
  • Hi Jaki

Am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of endometrial cancer and I can remember how I felt when I was first told. There are a lovely bunch of ladies on here who have been where you are now, will understand and will want to offer support. Please feel free to post and ask questions. Talking things through does help and I am pleased that you called the Support Line and were signposted here. Do continue to call the Support Line when and if you need to.

Here is some information that I found helpful when I was first diagnosed.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

I am really sorry to hear that your husband died of colorectal cancer last year and can only imagine how difficult this has been. I expect it brings up a whole range of feelings now. 

It sounds promising that your CT scan shows that the cancer is contained in your womb and has hopefully been caught at an early stage. It is normal to be referred for an MRI/CT to check the rest of you. Sometimes like myself- it was done as one big scan, sometimes they do with different ones. It depends a lot on the hospital. They are doing it to basically identify where exactly the cancer is, to check in case there is any spread and to be able to make decisions about the best treatment going forward.

It is understandable to feel scared at the thought of surgery but for the vast majority of ladies this is how they remove the cancer. My hysterectomy was done in April 2022- it was done via keyhole. The operation itself was very straightforward, there was little pain and I recovered quickly. I had the surgery on the Monday lunchtime. I was back on the ward on Monday tea time. I could walk around within a couple of hours. At 530 I was awake, had had a wash and was walking around and sorting things to go home. The ward round happened mid morning and I was discharged. I had to wait a couple of hours for paperwork etc to be completed and was then sent home. 

I was able to walk to the nearby shops within a couple of days with someone with me. Within a week I could do short walks. I took it easy for the first couple of weeks (lots of rest and not doing too much) and then felt so much better. Partly was relief the cancer had been removed. No lifting for 6 weeks. And no hoovering- so that was a bonus!

Once your MRI/CT is done I expect they will call you in for an appointment to talk about your provisional stage and grade and to talk about the treatment. Make a list of anything that you want to ask and take it with you- it helped me. 

I hope this helps a bit but if you need anything please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm