Endometriosis lead to total hysterectomy

• 3 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi I'm new here I was diagnosed with endometriosis back in the summer of 2023 after many months of low iron....major fatigue and the beginnings of perimennapausese  and trying Horome Threapy ...my Ob doctor started discussing a hysterectomy Had 2 large cysts on each ovary the size of lemons....we made the decision to do te surgery it was a much needed surgery.. now 14 days post surgery I have developed infection of the Vaginal Cuff and have a horrible Uti...I'm on 3 strong antibiotics at this time now...the hot flashes night sweats are relentless..and my emotions are not in a good place.Please someone tell me will it get better? Im 51 years old with a 10 year old daughter and I'm feeling helpless right now.Any suggestions?

• Hello Kristy44

Welcome to the Womb cancer group and the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear of your endometriosis and subsequent hysterectomy. 

Hopefully you will not have to wait too much longer for your post op pathology to come back and hopefully it will confirm that there is no cancer either in the womb or the cysts.

The infections, both the vaginal cuff and the UTI sound really horrible and naturally going to make you feel quite low. I hope that the antibiotics kick in quickly and make a difference. If they don't then you need to get back to your hospital team to maybe change type and be checked. 

Drinking loads will help flush out the UTI and I wonder if they have suggested to you any of those sachets that you can take to make your urine more alkaline so it feels more comfortable. Don't take anything without asking them but I know they have helped me in the past. Have you got sufficient pain relief to help if the infections are causing pain? If not do ask them.

I was given some strong IV antibiotics when I picked up a UTI during chemo and they were concerned about sepsis. Antibiotics can really knock you for 6, upset your tummy and make you feel generally rubbish. 

I did not particularly notice many hormonal changes other than perhaps slight sweats but I wonder if these are being exaberated by your current infections and the antibiotics. If you have a fever too- could be adding to it.

A hysterectomy, for whatever reason is a big thing to go through and feeling so unwell also is bound to feel overwhelming.

It will get better, I am sure and once those antibiotics kick in and do their work you should start to hopefully feel a lot better soon. With my infection it took 48 hours and I felt so much better.

Rest up as much as you can whilst being a mum and drink plenty. And if you do feel any worse or you feel things are not improving then get straight back on the phone to your team.

Hope you are feeling much better soon

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for all the words of encouragement ....yes I'm currently not taking any pain meds except 800  mg Moutrin or Extra Strenght Tylenol. I do feel yucky if I don't improve within the next few days I will go back to my team..Thank you again

• Hi Kristy

I just want to say I hope you feel better soon. We all understand the deep emotions that go with surgery like this. But to have an infection is always a miserable time.

This is a time to be very kind to yourself. Accept any offers of practical help and don't stress about things you can't do at the moment.

Drinking plenty of water to keep you hydrated will help a lot. Rest up whenever you can.

Best wishes