hello, new here - 5 months post hysterectomy

• 2 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi, this is my first time of writing in such a group, the Macmillan support officer at the hospital suggested I try - a bit daunting but I need to hear other people's experiences and share so as to be able to understand more and panic less. Diagnosed with endometrial cancer grade 1 stage 1a in March 2023, I had a total hysterectomy and now 5 months on after a follow up consultation I was informed that I have granulation of the vaginal vault. Some tissue was removed for testing and I have also had an MRI to check everything is structurally sound. I thought once I had the operation I would be free of anxiety and I am grateful for al that has and is being done but now to wait for 3 weeks for results feels unbearable, as this means little sleep and and I am worried that my ongoing exhaustion 5 months post op will only increase. Is there anyone out there that can relate. I feel absolutely alone with this. 

• Hello ATG

Welcome to the Online Community. I am sorry to hear that you had a diagnosis of endometrial cancer in March. 

I can understand how worrying that it must be to be told that there is some granulation in your vaginal vault but it is good that they have biopsied it and done the MRI. It is perhaps reassuring that you were stage 1a and grade 1 originally. It sounds as if this might be partly due to the healing process after the hysterectomy and that they are just being very careful and checking it out for you? 

I do get the anxiety about waiting for results- it's so tough. You just want to know straight away and while you are waiting all things run through your mind. But whatever is happening it is better to know and if there is a problem then they can hopefully give some treatment while at the very early stage. 

I understand the exhaustion- a hysterectomy is a major op, whether done via key hole or abdominally. It naturally takes some time to recover. I ended up having further treatment after mine but still have fatigue some days. 

Please do not feel alone with this. There are lots of lovely ladies on this forum that will understand how you are feeling at the moment. If you feel like talking to someone would help then please do consider talking to someone on the Support Line. The number is below. 

I hope this helps a bit and I hope that your results come back soon. In the meantime we are here if you need us.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• From what I read vaginal vault granulation is a common side effect and it sounds like your doctors are looking into things. It can be difficult to wait. Tiredness is something that again is common and I certainly am feeling it five + months on. I did have radiotherapy as well which is notorious for causing tiredness for ages after treatment. I just nap when I feel like it ( benefits of retirement)