Managed hysteroscopy

• 3 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hello everyone

Had my hysteroscopy yesterday; had gas and air and managed to get through it but felt faint after the procedure and had to lie down in the recovery room and then have tea and biscuits. I used to sometimes faint with period pain so am not surprised really but am pleased I managed to tolerate the procedure. They found and removed a small cervical polyp (I've had one before) and inserted a mirena to get rid of the thick lining. Apparently it was difficult to perform because of cervical stenosis and the blood from polyp removal/blood in the womb(?) made it hard to see what was going on. Had an aspiration biopsy and a pipelle biopsy and am having a second TVU tomorrow so that the consultant can get a better picture of what's going on. So now the waiting and uncertainty begins. I have gained weight - possibly because I comfort eat - and for the first time in my life am classed as overweight. I went through a lot of worry 4 years ago after an abnormal screening so have gone through all the stages of grief which surround the possibility that I may have cancer but last time it turned out to be less serious than they thought. I did learn that a day spent worrying is a wasted day so am trying to find something everyday to do to treat myself even if it's just some time reading my book with a cup of tea and the cat for company or a walk outside in the fresh air and an al fresco coffee to make small happy memories to look back on. Maybe I should start a weight loss diet but it's difficult to make plans in case I need an operation or treatment. Anyway thanks for reading.

Ax

• Hello Jane Austen Fan

I am glad that you have had your hysteroscopy and it's not surprising that you felt a bit faint after it all. Well done for managing it. I had tea and biscuits after mine too and that cup of tea felt the best ever. 

I hope you TVU goes ok tomorrow. I can understand the comfort eating and weight gain. It's such a lot to go through and in times of worry it is natural to turn to things that give you comfort. I tend to go the other way myself and lose appetite when I get stressed. 

I think your idea of trying to find something each day to do as a treat is a great idea. It is hard not to worry but a did find that some time outside helped me. I went on lots of walks. I did try the cuppa and a good book plan but with my cats they tend to try to sit on the book!

I hope that you do not have to wait too long to get all your results back and to know for sure what is causing the problems. In the meantime we are here if you need us, so please do post as much as it helps.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I think I must be weird as I’ve had 5 or 6 hysteroscopies and biopsies and didn’t need any pain relief at all, yet I usually have such a low pain threshold.

I had a Mirena coil put in 10 days ago and after 7 days started bleeding (Sunday) and it hadn’t stopped since..just thought I’d give you the heads up 8n case the same happens to you, I was told I might get some spotting…that’s a slight understatement…hope it’s all good for you x

• Hi Jane Austen Fan,

So glad you got through your hysteroscopy.  I had one prior to my diagnosis as initially I was diagnosed with polyps, my gynaecologist prescribed some type of painkiller to take before and after and it work really well for me.  If you have suffered from fainting previously then that was probably to be expected.  As Jane says that cuppa and biscuit afterwards works wonders.

I was on a weight loss plan prior to diagnosis and it all went to pot afterwards.  Best thing is to just stick to good wholesome food to make sure your body is strong.  Hope your TVU goes smoothly tomorrow. 

Definitely take some time today to read that book, have that cuppa and a nice snuggle with your cat.  I like to slump in the sunlounger with my book when the weather permits.

Good luck for tomorrow and we are always here to chat xx.

Jules