COUNTDOWN TO SURGERY

• 38 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer on 26th April.  I've had my MRI, CT scan and various appointments and I will have my hysterectomy in 3 days (including removal of lymph nodes).  I will then need to wait for results to see if I need further treatment.  I have been focused on the medical actions that are going to be taken and have utter confidence in my consultant and CNS.  

However I'm not sure the gravity of my situation has hit me yet.  I keep waiting for the realisation to hit me like a bolt of lightening.  I have great support around me, but I feel a bit of a fake as I feel perfectly ok.  I have people concerned for me and I feel fine.  Has anyone else experienced this.  

• Hi Jules65

I'm not sure there is a fixed way to feel or how we should react. Personally I'd suggest you just revel in your wellness and positivity - and the latter may even be infectious to others.

I love reading posts like yours and there is nothing fake in feeling good Revolving hearts 

• Hi Jules65

I don't think that there is any right or wrong way to feel. I personally found that everything happened so quickly and with all the testing and appointments I didn't have a lot of time to think. It is great that you have confidence in your consultant and CNS and that you have plenty of support around you. Maybe this is partly why you are feeling the way you do. 

I never had the bolt of lightening - to be honest it was all a bit of a whirlwind. My surgery was last year and was followed with further treatment. It is only now when I look back I sort of realise that I was actually quite ill, but even then it was the treatments that made me feel more unwell rather than the cancer. Everyone's cancer journey and experiences are individual. 

I hope that your surgery goes well and that you do not have to wait too long for the post op pathology. Mine was back in about 3 1/2 week so don't worry too much if you have to wait a bit to hear. 

In the mean time please keep us updated and let us know if there is anything else you need.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jules65, I was diagnosed in Nov 21 and, aside from the initial shock when I was told the news over the phone, I was mostly able to remain even-keeled and pragmatic right through. One thing that might be helping you is that you’ve had a relatively short wait between diagnosis and operation. Some here wait 2-3 months between diagnosis and op and the waiting definitely increases the stress. Have you seen the group thread about what to pack? Here’s a link for you community.macmillan.org.uk/.../what-to-take-in-my-overnight-bag

• Hi again Jules65, you may also find this thread of interest - it’s a kind of diary thread that I started on the day of my op in January 2022. community.macmillan.org.uk/.../hysterectomy-day-and-after---diary

• HI CrumpetsorToast, thank you for your words.  I am sorry to see that you have been through so much, and I will do my best to keep my positivity going, or as some people say my stubborness Slight smile

• HI Jane2511,

Think you've hit the nail on the head,  When I got my diagnosis I was back at the hospital the same evening for my MRI.  All my appointments have been no more than a week apart so I haven't had time to stop and worry about everything.  I've used my time to read up on the literature I've been given and focused on that (and avoided Dr Google).

I've also been told my results should be approximately 3 weeks after my surgery so that's not too long to wait.  Hoping for the best but preparing for being told further treatment is necessary, will keep updatig Slight smile

• HI MarmiteFan59, thanks for your comments, I seem to have been lucky with the short length of time I've waited.  Thanks for the link to 'what to take' there are a few items mentioned there that I have now made a note of to put in my bag.  

Also enjoyed reading your day by day diary, even smiled that you were ordering your meals while waiting to go to theatre.  I have an overnight stay as I live alone otherwise I would be going home same day, I don't like noise at night so I will definitely be taking ear plugs for that Slight smile

• Hi again Jules, thinking of you as you go in tomorrow- what time do you have to be there? I hope you’ve packed some snacks!

• HI, thank you, I am all packed and ready to go (snacks included).  Just had my first 'preload' drink which was like drinking hospital smell Slight smile

I need to be at hospital by 7am, but thankfully it is just 30 mins away.

Looking forward to getting my 'Nora Batty's' in the morning Joy and getting rid of this thing.

• Had my surgery on Thursday and was back home Friday evening.  Although I am tender / sore and very tired, quite surprised at how well I feel.  I had no adverse affects from the anaesthetic which was a relief.

Was good to get on my feet a few hours after surgery and Thursday night I was walking up the ward.  Expect to have the histology back in approx 3 weeks, so fingers crossed.