Hello new here

• 22 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Just wanted to say hello as I’ve been finding all your posts so helpful. I’ve added my profile so you can read my story so far. I was diagnosed  on 24 Jan 2023 and have hysterectomy etc planned for next Tuesday 28 Feb. I’m seeing my surgeon tomorrow 22nd Feb and wondering what questions to ask? Are there any threads re this please? x

• Hi Saz26, welcome to the group and well done for already writing your profile! Bless you, I imagine it must feel difficult to be doing cancer all over again. I had a hysterectomy in January 2022 and then treatment. I wrote a hysterectomy diary thread - the link is here: https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/womb-cancer-forum/f/diagnosis-and-treatment/232566/hysterectomy-day-and-after---diary?pifragment-13906=2#pifragment-13906=1

As for questions: I’d be asking if the catheter would be left in after the op and when it could be removed. And what the criteria would be for how soon I could go home after. Also how soon the histology results would take to come through, and if he/she was going to prebook an appointment for me to come in and receive them, rather than just having to wait.

• For me personally, I also asked if I’d have to have the blood thinning injections at home afterwards. Some hospitals advise this as a matter of course, others don’t unless you’re high risk. He said that I’d need the one given the evening after the op, but that if I was then going to be active afterwards then I wouldn’t need to do them. He was however quite new to my hospital, and after my op a nurse came round to show me how to do the injections, I queried this and was told that my surgeon hadn’t realised it was this hospital’s policy to advise it. I asked if I could refuse and they said yes and was told that my surgeon had said that if I refused (LOL I think he knew me quite well) he’d advise wearing the stockings for 23 hours a day for the 28 days, making sure I went for walks, not sitting for more than half an hour at a time without getting up and walking around a bit, and also twiddling my feet and bending my legs occasionally when sat down with my feet up. I did all of that and by the time I had my results appointment (13 days post op) I was walking 20-30 mins twice a day and was overjoyed when he said I didn’t have to wear the stockings any more either! I’m not saying that others should refuse the injections, just saying that you can. But it’s definitely worth asking your surgeon if your hospital advises them as a matter of course.

• Thanks so much for the advice this all really helps x

• Something that I wasn’t expecting when I came round after my op was that I felt an intermittent pressure on my lower legs which felt a bit odd - I asked the nurse what it was and found out I had pressure cuff things on my lower legs (knee to ankle) that inflated and deflated at irregular intervals to help prevent thrombosis. Some people may not mind it but the sound it made bothered me and also the sensation felt odd. I asked if it could be turned off for a bit and they said yes. It stayed off LOL. You might want to ask whether you’d have those, if you’re the sort of person who likes to know everything (I am!) 

• Hi   Welcome to this very supportive group. This time last year I was recovering from my hysterectomy, you can read my story by click on my username. I too was told it was High Grade Serous, but to give you some inspiration, I am now back to normal life and trying to get fit again after being easy on myself last year. The NHS have been wonderful and cared for me well. I was on 3 monthly checkups but now moved to 6 monthly unless I have any concerns then I will be seen urgently. Please ask anything else that comes to mind, I will help if I can, Good luck with everything. Xx

Madesp 
  • Oh I had those on and actually enjoyed the sensation 

when I had my hysteroscopy they left them on through the night and I got quite skilled in removing them to go to the loo and then wrapping my legs again. For my exploratory in February they were only on for a short period.

• As I have severe arthritis and am quite sedenary cannot walk easily the injections were advised. I am rather needle phobic though they are so fine that apart from a little sting after injections I hardly noticed. 

• It’s funny how different we are! I felt trapped, and unsettled by the random nature of the movement - plus also, having had the hysterectomy, and having the catheter in still, I wouldn’t have been able to move to remove them. 

• Dear MarmiteFan59, I asked all your questions and more as I also like to know everything! My surgeon is lovely, I felt very reassured. The plan at the moment is to be out the same day so no catheter or thrombosis leg sleeves when I wake up as they will be removed. I will take an overnight bag though just incase I do need to stay in. I also met my CNS who is lovely too. I’ll be shown how to inject myself with blood thinners for four weeks. I am squeamish so we’ll see how that goes! Thanks again for all your advice x

• Dear Mad, thanks so much for getting in touch as your story seems to be very similar to the journey I am now on at the moment. I’m so glad you’ve got through it and are well. I’ve had nothing but wonderful treatment myself in the NHS since this second battle with cancer started in December 2022. I’m just focussing on my surgery next Tuesday 28/2 and getting through that but I’m sure once histology is back, I’ll have to think about chemo and radio again but that’s for another day! Thanks again x