Hysterectomy Day and After - diary

• 60 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Day 1 - Got to bed by 1am - early for me! Set alarm for 5.15am but woke naturally just after 5. Switched the heat on, played my word game on my tablet to wake myself up, then had my shower with the hibiscrub stuff (sensitive version). Taxi came at 6.30, nice driver, got here 20 mins early. Through the day surgery ward door at 7.30, very nice health care assistant spent about an hour with me going through the forms, taking my blood pressure and temp, and measuring/fitting my Norah Batty stockings. Anaesthetist stopped by to have a chat, listen to my chest and do more forms, she was also pleasant. My lovely consultant/surgeon came to say hello and chat things through, also made me laugh and left me feeling confident and reassured. So now I’m sat here waiting my turn which shouldn’t be long now. I’ve seen the menu and have ordered my lunch, snacks and supper! 

I’ll post an update as soon as I am able! 

• Hi Maggie, my consultant is a newbie to the hospital (but very experienced from a London hospital) and told me he intends introducing a “same day home” hysterectomy arrangement to this hospital in the next 12 months. I’d have loved to have been home last night but hey! 

• Hi and glad your op went well and you are well on way to recovery. Thanks for this post which gives an insight what to expect. Take care.

M x

Mad 
  • Hi girls..I'm so sorry but I tried to add a comment and accidentally hit the "flag to moderator" button...I'm so so sorry. Hope it dosent affect any of your wonderful posts

Angela xx

• Hi Angela aha, that may be why I posted and it said it had to be approved! No harm done, it appeared the next morning so no worries at all! 

• Day 3 - had a hair wash and half shower last night and washed off the peachy pink antiseptic from my stomach, thighs, nether regions and under my boobs where it had irritated my skin a bit. Took pain relief before bedtime for a slight headache not my tummy, and slept very well - so glad to be in my own bed, even with my husband’s snoring! No pain or discomfort from lower tummy, slight discomfort each side but only like a pulled muscle feeling, and it was less today than yesterday. I can easily get up and down stairs, and also went for another 5 minute gentle walk near where I live. I will do that again later this afternoon, aiming to build up to 15 mins at a time in the next 2-3 weeks, then to 30 mins by 4-6 weeks, but always carefully listening to my body. I’m sitting upstairs with my iPad, looking out of my window, but getting up for the loo or to go downstairs to make a drink every 15-20 mins or so. I wasn’t sure yesterday whether to put this next bit as I don’t want to influence others, but I’m going to say it now - I refused the 28 days of blood thinning injections as I feel I’ve had enough of being poked and prodded and jabbed. My consultant’s personal opinion was that as I am an active person, I wouldn’t need them, and said that at his last hospital they didn’t do them for every patient, but, as his opinion doesn’t reflect the Trust’s current policy/advice, he found he had to recommend them on my discharge notes. He said on Saturday evening that I should have the one that evening and then wouldn’t need any more as long as I was up and about and very mobile (which I was). The ward doctor was doing the discharge forms, and was not pleased when I queried it. I asked if I could refuse and he said yes. I didn’t have to sign any disclaimer. My consultant had said to him that if I refused I should be told to exercise (sensibly), stay well hydrated and wear my stockings. So that is what I am doing. I totally understand the reason for the injections but believe that for me the risk is small and I’d rather just take sensible action instead. I did a 5 min walk just after I got back from hospital last night, have been up and down stairs a lot, twiddle my feet when sat down, already drink a food amount of water and other drinks and will continue to do so, and am wearing my stockings all day and all night bar a 30 minute break in the evening! I know to watch for the signs too, but am confident. I spoke to one of my CNS this morning and she was okay about it too. So on we go! Oh and by the way, having the op and having a light diet for 2-3 days I’ve lost 2lbs! 

• Hello Marmitefan59 

Don't forget to mention the weight lost through  hysterectomy....surely the organ weighs about 500 grams at least. Ha.

M x

Mad 
  • Hi Mad, I did wonder about how much it weighed! I’m also busy rejoicing today at the thought of no more smears! 

• Marmitefan59 I've now really got  a good insight into what to expect. Obviously I want to get home ASAP after so will take onboard your experiences. Thanks for writing the diary it will help so many of us and abolish some fears we may  have .You should be proud of yourself you've done really well. 

Take care now and don't be tempted to overdo it.

M x

Mad 
  • Hi and . That's what is so magical and special about this forum. We have the ability to take away some of the fears about this horrible time we've all been or are going through. 

Onwards and upwards, hugs, Baldie Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Day 4 - sorry if this is TMI but had a poo last night, first time since Friday evening. I had a light diet Friday (main meal lunchtime), no food or drinks except water after midnight, and had nothing Saturday till the evening when just had some tinned fruit and trifle, plus some Quavers and a Soreen bar. Then only a light lunch Sunday, so there probably wasn’t much there. I wasn’t constipated, it just took its time, lol. My cancer nurse said it can take a few days post op to get going again. One of my three incisions started leaking a little bit of watery blood yesterday - it’s the wound below and just to the right of my belly button. I phoned my cancer nurse and also the ward just to check, and they said as long as no swelling, redness or pus, just to keep an eye on it. I have some disposable paper flannels that I bought for washing with that hibiscrub stuff pre and post op, so I’m just using one of those as a dressing to cover it. Leakage is slightly less today and no swelling, redness or smell, so I’ll check in with the ward today again and offer to send a photo, but I’m not worried.

it’s so hard to remember not to pick things up, normal everyday things that you don’t even think about! I’ve forgotten once or twice but am getting better. The kettle is a tough one but I’m learning to remember to let my husband make my drinks. I sometimes put water in the kettle, as otherwise he boils it with not much water in and I get a bit of limescale in my drink! But I use a small bottle to put water in rather than lifting the kettle (which is obviously a no no) and then ask him to make it for me! Thankfully remembered to call my husband to strain the veg last night as saucepan was heavy. Arranged some flowers that a friend left on the doorstep but then remembered to ask my husband to carry them through - so I’m being good! 

Weeing is getting easier (faster) every day and I slept well again last night. Off out now for my 5 minute walk!