Oestrogen

• 12 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello This is my first visit to this platform. I was diagnosed with womb cancer in Aug 20 and had a full hysterectomy in Oct 20. I was fortunate caught ib early stage 1A contained, so didn't need any other treatment but I am now suffereing from Vaginal atrophy which is caused by lack of ostrogen. I can't get advicefrom Health care professionals as to whether with my history vaginal oestrogen crem is safe to use.  Has anyone had experience of this?

• Hi Traveller, which health care professionals have you asked? Wondering specifically if you’ve asked your CNS team or your gynae consultant?

• Hi Thanks for your response. My GP asked for advice from Gynae team, response was due to back log has been triaged as a routine referral and there is a 10 month waiting list

• Traveller, if it was me I’d go direct to my CNS team - mine have told me to keep in touch if I need to. 

• Hi Traveller, when you received your womb cancer diagnosis after your hysterectomy did you request a copy of your pathology report?  If so did the pathology report say if your cancer was oestrogen receptor positive?  

Do seek the advice of the experts and as MarmiteFan59 says the CNS team but my thoughts are (and I'm not medically qualified) that if your cancer is ER+ then they are likely to advise you against taking vaginal oestrogen cream.  

• Many Thanks, no I didnt see the report as due to covid all follow up was over the phone. I will request a copy. The response came from my CNS, understandibly they are stretched and as I am cancer free I am not a priority.

• Hi . I would go back to your CNS and ask again. You were stage 1a so deemed to be cancer free as it was contained however the tumour you had feeds on cancer so it's quite important to clarify if any oestrogen cream would be suitable.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Sorry, meant to write the tumour you had feeds on Oestrogen.

B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Traveller,

I have been given a prescription for Replens/silk. This has really helped me to feel more comfortable. It also has no oestrogen in it either of them. You can buy these over the counter too so you don’t need to wait for a prescription. 

I was told I can not use any creams or supplements with Oestrogen in them.

Hope this helps 

Catherine x

• @Bella H

Never could tag you - Hi Catherine, how are you doing - long time no see!

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Hi Barb, 

I’m doing okay thank you. My hair is back now, I have a good few inches so it has felt so nice to get rid of the wig and headscarves. I know you mentioned hoping yours will be back soon. I think I had ditched the headwear about 2 months after I finished chemo so hopefully you will be able to do the same. As soon as I had a covering I felt comfortable to go without.y hair is really curly anyway but it has grown back even curlier ( I didn’t think That was possible? I am suffering a lot of aches and pains and low energy levels so I’m finding it hard to exercise but I’m getting there. I put a lot of weight on during my treatment so trying really hard now to get that off. I think that has contributed to my aches and pains. I have my 3rd check up next month.

How are you feeling Barb? Have you got any lingering side effects from your treatment? 

Thanks Barb 

Catherine xx