Hello, I'm new here.

• 18 replies
  • 73 subscribers

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer grade 3. I had a full hysterectomy with robotic keyhole surgery 6 weeks ago. They took the sentinel nodes,  the pathology report came back showing a very small cancer in my right sentinel node. They said they can cure me with chemotherapy & radiotherapy. My first oncology appointment is this Tuesday. I'm very anxious about everything.  Is there anybody here who is going through or been through the same treatment? 

• Hi Sue1

Great news that you are over half way now. Yes it is a long day in hospital. Because of the reaction I have to the Paclitaxel I have to have it over a slower time increasing the speed each hour so it takes about 7.5 hrs.

I had to abandon the cold cap on cycle 1 so I have lost all of my hair now. I had cycle 2 a week ago and the reaction came again in the form of a very sore itchy blistered scalp. Thankfully today I feel its improving with the Steroid tablets and scalp lotion that the Chemo team gave me. I have 2 more sessions with the option of a further 2 Chemo  if I want them. I will wait and see how the next 2 go first before making up my mind. 

Take care

Robin x

• Hi Sue1

Good to hear from you.  Glad your over halfway now  and won't be long till you finish.  Also I'm glad yiu managed like me to keep most of your hair. The chemotherapy is the worst part of treatments in my opinion.  I'm looking forward to my final one on 29th.

Take care xx

Madesp 
  • Hi Sue1,

That is really good to hear that the cold cap worked so well for you and you are more than halfway through.

I am in 2 minds about the cold cap. Did the pain bother you? I understand that while the infusions are so long, it might be more painful.

Best Can xx

• Hi Can, 

I can honestly say that after the 1st 20 - 30 minutes I completely forgot about the cap. Those first few minutes are painful but once they have passed I just sat there reading magazines,  playing a word game etc. I had the cap on whilst the steroids etc were going through before the paclitaxel started then all the way through until the end of the carboplatin then 90 minutes following the treatment. Once you are used to it you will be fine. They've started recommending it to people on our treatment at my hospital because mine has gone so well. Before they weren't because it's a long treatment. Just make sure they follow the instructions properly.

Take care & never be afraid to ask questions.

Sue xx 

• Glad you set the pace Sue1. Now other ladies hopefully will benefit because you stood up for what you were entitled to and believed in. Xx

Madesp 
  • Hi Can

I used the cold cap from first treatment and apart from the first fifteen minutes being very cold to the point where I thought is this worth it? I can honestly say I've kept most of my hair but it has gone thin all over.  I have to stress I had thin hair anyways and the hair I've kept is a real bonus.

Some ladies took paracetamol half hour beforehand but I never and got used to it quickly . You could give it a try and if its nit for you then you don't have to continue but if yiu don't use cold cap on first chemo session  then it's likely yiu will losevall your hair approximately 2/3 weeks following chemotherapy treatment.  Paclitaxel or any chemotherapy containing TAXANES are the ones that lose hair.

Hope this helps xxx 

Madesp 
  • Thank you Sue1 and Madesp- I will give the cold cap a go. Really pleased that you both had such good experiences with it.

Best Can xx

• Hi Can- I have just posted on the scalp calling section but just wanted to say I have found it worth it. I am half way through chemo now- 2 cycles done- 2 to go.  i experienced shedding from day 14 of first cycle. My hair has thinned all over but I have not yet had to resort to scarves, hats, wig etc. I find the first bit painful but then you get used to it. I would recommend anyone giving it a go and if it doesnt work for you or you dont like the feeling- its your choice to stop. I am on paclitaxol and carboplatin and was told likely to lose all my hair and body hair. With the colling cap i was told around 50% would keep 50% but depends on dosage etc. I have lost most of my body hair now (Not eyebrows.eyelashes ) but i feel without doing the scalp cooling I would not have much hair at all on my head by now.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm