Hello, I'm new here.

• 18 replies
  • 72 subscribers

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer grade 3. I had a full hysterectomy with robotic keyhole surgery 6 weeks ago. They took the sentinel nodes,  the pathology report came back showing a very small cancer in my right sentinel node. They said they can cure me with chemotherapy & radiotherapy. My first oncology appointment is this Tuesday. I'm very anxious about everything.  Is there anybody here who is going through or been through the same treatment? 

• Hi Sue1 

Welcome to the group and I'm glad you joined, you will get the support on here from many that are walking the same path and know exactly how you feel.

Sorry you have this diagnosis! I too was diagnosed just before Christmas with stage 1a Grade 3 Serous Adenocarcinoma. Is this what you have? Although you may be a higher stage?

My operation went well and recovery was good.

Mine is found to be contained in a polyp and had not spread outside of the womb, there was nothing found in the omentum or lymph nodes, so fir this I count myself lucky, however the discussion with the oncologist suggests that it is never deemed as 100% that this particular cancer has not invaded the LVSI, so because of this I was given recommendation to have 3 brachytherapy sessions and optional chemotherapy. I did opt to have the chemo after consulting many ladies on this very group and I'm sure many others will be on here soon to welcome you. 

I had my first Chemo last week 15th March, a few rough days but this week I have turned the corner now and  been well and I'm even working from home and returning to somewhat of a normal life. 

Ask away any questions I am happy to answer and if you want to read up on my bio just click on my name and the history is there.

Take care and try not to worry, we are here for you.

Maddy x

Madesp 
  • Hi Maddy, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I had a slight problem during my surgery, the plan was to remove more lymph nodes but they could only take the sentinel nodes. They weren't expecting to find any cells in the nodes but there was a minuscule bit. My cancer is grade 3,  I knew that from the biopsy. At the time they said stage 1a but after the pathology report it's changed. I'm having 18 weeks of chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy every day for 6 weeks. My consultant said he's confident they can cure me with this treatment. I wasn't sure what to do but after the initial shock of the diagnosis I've decided to have the treatment recommended. 

Good luck with your treatment!

Sue x 

• Yes Sue it's a no brainer must have the treatments to  try cure once and for all. The grade 3 pesky cells aren't always found so because of this I decided to go ahead with the treatments.  I ws not offered pelvic radiotherapy only brachytherapy at the vvaginal vault. 

We will get through this and we can support each other.

Take care xx 

Madesp 
  • Hi Sue, bless you and welcome to the group. I feel for you as it can be overwhelming to get your head round everything. I’m just checking that you’re aware that grades and stages (and types) are different things. You’ve mentioned it being grade 3 but haven’t mentioned the stage except to say it changed from a 1a. Did you by any chance mean it’s stage 3? Is it grade 3 too? Just wanted to clarify as it may help when talking here so that ladies with similar diagnoses can support you.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the group. You'll find a lot of support here and useful information.

I myself was stage 1B/ grade 3 serous. I've just finished (yesterday my chemo) 6 cycles of chemo normally Paclitaxel and Carboplatin (Paclitaxel stops the cancer cells from separating into 2 new cells stopping the growth of the cancer. Carboplatin interferes with the development of the genetic material in a cell, the DNA. This stops it from dividing into 2 new cells and kills it.) one every 3 weeks .It wasn't exactly pleasant but definitely do-able. Just felt a bit iffy a week after the side effects kicked in but stuck with anti-nausea drugs kicked in and went to bed for the day when felt wobbly. Started losing my hair two weeks after 1st cycle so think about  very short crop or even shaving. I'd had mine cut shorter than usual before but I confess I did get upset when it started coming out in chunks so shaved it off.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. One section shows you the stages and grades for clarification.

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi MarmiteFan,

Yes my cancer is stage 3 & grade 3, not what I was hoping for when I got my results. I'm dreading starting my treatment but I'll get on with it & hopefully my consultant is right & I'll beat this horrible disease. 

• Hi Sue1

Hope you are getting on well with your treatment. I am replying here since I got the same diagnosis, Stage 3c (1positive node), Grade 3 adenocarcinoma. Had a robotic hysterectomy one month ago and will start chemo (6x tax, carb) followed by radio and brachy soon.

Will check this forum for all your helpful tips and support. Xx

• Hi Can,

I just had my 4th chemo the same as you're going to have soon.  I've been having the cold cap which has been working well. I had a bit of a bad experience at my 3rd treatment. My nurse didn't follow the instructions for the treatment. I have complained & they have agreed that the proper procedure wasn't followed. I'm a bit worried because I did lose a little more hair. I'm still using the cap though. I have no bald patches & everyone comments that my hair still looks good. I'd definitely recommend using the cap. I'd just make sure that your nurse knows the proper procedure. Good luck with everything! The main thing is to get rid of this horrible disease. Keeping my hair has made me cope better with everything though. I've actually felt quite well apart from the fatigue. A few side effects but they don't last too long. 

Take care,

Sue xx

• Hi Sue1

Iam pleased to hear that you have completed your 4th Chemo cycle. It must of been very distressing having a problem with the procedure not being followed properly with the cold cap, great to hear that it hasnt had too much of an adverse effect, it must be such a relief for you. Do you have anymore Chemo sessions to complete? 

Take care 

Robin x

• Hi Robin,

I've got 2 more chemo sessions to complete.  I'll be so glad to get those over with. It's such a long day at the hospital.  I'll have to wait 2 months for a scan then wait to see what follows. 

How are you getting on now? 

It's good to hear from you! 

Take care, 

Sue xx