Feeling alone

• 14 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Thank you Highlander.  After just one episode of post menopausal bleeding I have received a diagnosis of grade 3 endometrial cancer.  It has come as such as shock and I’m going through so many emotions at the moment.  My husband has been so supportive but as the end of the day it’s me who has this cancer growing in me.  I have read other posts and know that everyone has their own story and concerns so my good wishes go out to you all. Hugging

• Hi , good to see you found your way over to the group. I wish you all the best for the weeks and months to come ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Morning Walking Lady and welcome to this forum. We are all at different points in our journey with this horrible disease, but everyone here is very supportive of each other, and we all share information to try and take away some of the fear.

So we all know exactly how you are feeling after your diagnosis, that feeling of shock and disbelief that this is actually happening. Many of us feel this part is very difficult, once you have your treatment plan you will start to feel a bit more in control. But at the beginning it is a waiting game and the brain goes into overdrive. On the plus side, once you have your diagnosis things start happening quickly. I was diagnosed at the end of July 2020, and had my op at the end of August, but of course it depends on your health authority.

So try not to sit and fret, go out for some nice walks and treat yourself gently. Don’t know where in the country you are, but hope you have electricity and no snow!  Take care, x.

• Hi Walkinglady, welcome to the group. It’s a difficult path we’re treading and there’s really nothing that can prepare any of us for it, so every day we get through it, we win. Could I ask when and how you were told? And have you told anyone else yet apart from your husband?

• Hi   and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. Any cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you for your support.  Six weeks and one day ago I was going through life as usual when I had a small amount of vaginal bleeding.  Having gone through the menopause in 2011 when I was 50, I googled post menopause bleeding as you do!  I contacted my GP a couple of days later.  Later that day I had a telephone consultation with GP followed by internal examination by GP a couple of hours later and then a load of blood tests at the hospital later that same day.  The following week I had ultrasound scans, the week after  that I had a hysteroscopy and biopsies were taken. A few days later I had another hospital appointment with a consultant who said that the biopsies had shown cancer cells. He didn’t mention the grade of cancer and I didn’t know enough then to ask that question.  This has been a very steep learning curve for me and my husband.  The floowing day I had a CT scan which thankfully showed no spread to other organs. Yesterday I had another hospital appointment with a different consultant/surgeon who explained everything in more detail.  I was then taken to pre op assessment for all my tests as I am due to have keyhole surgery to remove womb, cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries and pelvic lymph nodes next Tuesday [7 December).  We have told family, friends and some neighbours as they are all used to seeing me out and about so much.  i have also had to make arrangements for my mum to have extra carers and a cleaner for a few months.  Sorry that my reply is so long but it has felt like being on a runaway train for these last week weeks.  I don’t know your story but take care of yourself.

• Thank you for your support.  We have snow but not as much as on Sunday so I have had a lovely walk in the cold but sunny hills with our dog.  I am making the most of getting out and about while I can.  I only had small amount of post menopausal bleeding six weeks and one day ago and am having my hysterectomy next Tuesday (7 December) so I have to self isolate from Sunday. Whirlwind last few weeks for sure but hopefully this time next week I will be tucked up on my own sofa!  Hope your recovery is going well.  XX

• Thank you Barb for your welcome and support.  I have already looked at the overnight bag list as I am due to have my hysterectomy next Tuesday [7 December].  I always wear big knickers anyway! But  I am now going to get an elasticated waist skirt and loose tops out to take with me. Take care xx

• Hi

I read your post and noticed your in tomorrow for your operation, I thought you might like to read my experience of  my stay in hospital … I had open surgery but ladies who had keyhole where up and about quite quickly….

I had a full hysterectomy last December and this is what I experienced 

COVID test 3 days before (might not do that now) and early in at 7am, once you are in the nurses really take over and will make you feel at ease and guide you through some admin and get you ready. You will put some “attractive compression stockings on” and speak to the. anaesthetist and you walk down to surgery.  They talk to you all the time and your asleep very quickly. Post surgery for me was really ok, I woke up and attached to drip for morphine which you control the amount, I didn’t use it that much so they took it away after a day, it does make you groggy so I used paracetamol and ibuprofen and could manage quite well. You have a catheter in and have that taken out the next day, which isn’t painful. You have to pee three times so they can measure your output, so drink lots and eat as this helps to get your bowel moving. So op day is day 1, by day 3.. the wind pains come through and this was more painful than the op pain... drink peppermint tea and move around ...walk up and down the ward, rock backwards and forwards at the end of bed...it will help. You may not get the wind pains as it’s keyhole.

I was out of hospital on day 3, i just wanted to be home... I was constipated but took medicine home with me for that..  you will be very slow and stiff.

if you have help at home or can arrange some I would say organise that, as rest in the early days will make you recover quicker long term.

So items to take in to hospital, phone and long lead charger, peppermints and mint tea for the wind pains. big knickers 2/3 nighties/ wet wipes.. I took in far too much expecting to get dressed every day…I was in my nighties the whole time so just a very loose coming home outfit. 

I was very confident in my medical team and my nurses were very helpful and caring, talked me through the blood thinning injections which I had to do for 26 days after operation. It’s not easy for the first week but the pain can be controlled and with rest you will feel better after the first week. Barb always recommends a small pillow for the ride home to stop the seat belt from being too tight.

there is a plan for you and the operation is just part of that plan to make you well.. eat as well as you can pre and post operation..lots of fruit and protein to repair your body.

Take it easy for the first two weeks and accept all help you can, body is in shock from operation and slow and steady really does help long term recovery…..don’t lift anything heavier than a kettle…

I wish you well, big hug

Sue

• Thanks Sue

Reading about the experiences of woman who have been and are going through the same thing has really helped me.  I have just packed my bag and after reading your post I will pop an extra nightie in just in case.  I am really lucky to have a very supportive hubby who can do everything apart from the ironing! so I know he will look after me.  I have already warned him that I will probably be impatient and annoying for a few days.  He says What’s new!! LOL  All the best for your continued recovery. Hugging

• Hi Walkinglady,

just read your post and wanted to send you lots of hugs and de-stressing vibes! There cannot be a person who was more terrified and anxious than me facing this situation we have all found ourselves in. I completely feel what you are going through, but if I can really put your mind at rest in any way I will. The fear of the unknown is a real thing, but honestly Walkinglady, the reality is nowhere near what is going through your mind. You are actually on what I call the NHS conveyor belt, and move from one thing to another, and the care and love they show you is immense. I had to self isolate for 14 days pre op, which was horrendous as I needed so much family and distraction, so much was in my head and it all ended in a question mark and no full stops. I had keyhole surgery, and it truly was an amazing thing. Recovery was all done at home as I was discharged from hospital at lunchtime the day after. I stuck to peppermint tea and the wind issues were far less painful, you just need to be careful as you truly feel ok and able to do anything, but you must let the internal scars heal. I could walk around no problem at all, and soon felt tired so your body tells you to rest. I had to have 28 days of anti coagulant injections, which my husband had great pride in administering! Infact far too much joy! As an active lady you will be fine, you just have to remember not to do too much, but honestly, the fear in my head was 100% worse than reality. Before you know it you will be back home, it will be all over, and your road to recovery will begin. I send lots of hugs and love, and will be thinking of you Tuesday. Love Emm xx