Newby saying Hello

• 15 replies
  • 75 subscribers

I have confirmed Endometrial cancer . I only rang to enquire if I could have a smear test as a precaution due to light blood spotting as I am post menopause by about 15 years ( I am 65) as they don't do smears a in my age group my GP referred me for tests.. Thank God she did. everything has moved very quickly. After the initial ultra sound i was told my womb lining was 20mm, and I had a Polyp. I was admitted onto day ward for biopsies on 25th May resulting in the confirmation on 9th June that the Polyp was large and cancerous. I had a CT scan the following day which I am advised is showing - Thankfully - no spread though cells are growing quickly.. Tomorrow is a big day for me as I go for my consultation and pre op for full Hysterectomy including Uterus, Ovaries and Fallopian tubes, and anything else deemed necessary to give me my best chance. In all honesty I don't think it's hit me yet, everyone keeps saying " Your very calm about it all " and I do feel calm as I Can't do anything about it myself, I will put my trust in the people that can, I am prepared for the worst ( I think) and  Hope for the best, as I know things could be a lot worse.. I do have wobbles, a few tears now and again but I made it clear from the start to those around me I wanted to be open and talk freely about whats going on I don't want it to be a Taboo subject, and for me anyway, this is helpful. I wish everyone using this Forum well, keep your chin up....Onwards and Upwards....I'll be back with an Update ............

• My first call to GP was 6th May after various procedures and biopsies I got my results on 9th June my surgery is booked for 9Th July so from diagnosis to surgery ( all being well with no cancellations ) it will be 4 weeks . that being said i am at grade 3 1A (1B expected on inspection ) So moving pretty quick for me and for that I am thankful. so I assume timescales vary depending on many factors but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with . In my case it all started to move after the CT scan as that gave them a lot of info so hopefully you will get things sorted pretty quickly after your scan. Good Luck, Keep positive, and take care x

• Hi . I went through all of this last year smack in the middle of lockdowns. I consulted my GP on 3rd June had to wait between every scan until diagnosis 20th August, Op on 17th September, Brachytherapy 28th October, 3rd November and 5the November. So basically 5 months which, in the scheme of things going on, I thought pretty good. Initially I assume the 2 weeks wait pathway meant from speaking to GP to op being done - that's in a  perfect world.

Take comfort that Endometrial Cancer is a slow growing cancer. Try not to worry, easy to say, impossible to do!

Sending hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you, I almost positive, but as you know the waiting is the hard part x

I am glad you have your date and wish you all the best x

• Thank you Barb, I definitely thought 2 weeks and all scans etc. would be done ha ha

The ontology nurses have been amazing, and I am sure they must be ed up with me, but I need to keep chasing so that I feel I am doing something.

How are you doing now? X

• Hi , I'm absolutely fine. Had my third three-monthly check-up last week and all's well. All's healed well and minimal side effects from Brachytherapy. Just monitoring my foot that suddenly swelled up for possible lymphoedema.

I agree the waiting is awful, you wait for a test, then results, then MDT meetings, then op, then histology, then adjuvant treatments, the list goes on. I remember what seemed like months staring at the ceiling in the dark every night with worrying thoughts. I just realised that last night I slept through a full night, well until 6am at least!

You're doing the best thing in being open and talking and things, they say it's good to talk and let it all out!

All the best, hugs your way, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett