Newby saying Hello

• 15 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I have confirmed Endometrial cancer . I only rang to enquire if I could have a smear test as a precaution due to light blood spotting as I am post menopause by about 15 years ( I am 65) as they don't do smears a in my age group my GP referred me for tests.. Thank God she did. everything has moved very quickly. After the initial ultra sound i was told my womb lining was 20mm, and I had a Polyp. I was admitted onto day ward for biopsies on 25th May resulting in the confirmation on 9th June that the Polyp was large and cancerous. I had a CT scan the following day which I am advised is showing - Thankfully - no spread though cells are growing quickly.. Tomorrow is a big day for me as I go for my consultation and pre op for full Hysterectomy including Uterus, Ovaries and Fallopian tubes, and anything else deemed necessary to give me my best chance. In all honesty I don't think it's hit me yet, everyone keeps saying " Your very calm about it all " and I do feel calm as I Can't do anything about it myself, I will put my trust in the people that can, I am prepared for the worst ( I think) and  Hope for the best, as I know things could be a lot worse.. I do have wobbles, a few tears now and again but I made it clear from the start to those around me I wanted to be open and talk freely about whats going on I don't want it to be a Taboo subject, and for me anyway, this is helpful. I wish everyone using this Forum well, keep your chin up....Onwards and Upwards....I'll be back with an Update ............

• Hi nannyjanet,

Sorry you find yourself here, but if you have to be in this position there are plenty of people here to give you comfort and advice. I found I was fairly calm beforehand. After all, you can't alter things or do anything about it all, much as we would like to! I did burst into tears on the way home from hospital. The journey was not pleasant, I hurt all over!! I also think it was relief the operation was over.

I was lucky and didn't need more treatment. I am coming up to 4 years post op. Good luck for tomorrow. xxxx

• Thankyou for you reply NannyAnny it was a breath of fresh air when I read you didn't need further treatment, so I live in hope.... I am hoping the op is sooner rather than later though as I have small dread of the pain to come as I have experience of severe pain as I broke my back 10 years ago and didn't think pain could ever be that bad ! My daughter says if I can survive that I can survive anything lol. I think i have earned the title of 'tough old boot' ha ha ha.

Thanks again and Take Care x x x

• Hello NannyJanet

I’m so sorry you’ve had to join our group, but just wanted to reassure you that, like NannyAnny, there are lots of us here who haven’t had to have any further treatment following total hysterectomy.  I’m one of them!  My surgery was last December and although I felt uncomfortable for a few days afterwards I wouldn’t have classed it as real pain.  It was totally manageable with the painkillers offered and not nearly as bad as I had feared.  The worst bit is the waiting for the surgery - it can feel endless and very overwhelming, but there’s always someone here who will understand how you’re feeling, so ask anything you want - don’t hold back!

And be gentle with yourself.  I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Pippa xx

• Hi Nannyjanet, I've been told that I have a cancerous fibroid but it looks like it's contained. I have a total hysterectomy including the removal of my cervix, fallopian tubes and ovaries booked for next Tuesday. I've had quite a lot of surgery so I'm not too worried about that it will be the wait for the hystology that I'll struggle with. I have non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver and type 2 diabetes which makes things a bit more complicated. Good luck tomorrow and I hope you get an appointment for the surgery soon. It's been less than 6 weeks from my visit to A and E with stomach and back pain to the hysterectomy.

• Hi . Reading your post almost mirrored my own experiences. This time last year I had just been put on to the two week wait cancer pathway and an ultrasound had just revealed a thickened lining. I was sent for a hysteroscopy and biopsy couldn't be done - stenosed cervix and had it done under GA (epidural). I phoned up for histology results, this was all smack bang in the middle of lockdown and was told I'd hear by letter. I received a letter inviting to see a consultant in Nottingham - I live in Lincolnshire and I phoned to say if I'm just to have a checkup every 6 months can't it be done here - then they dropped the bombshell I needed surgery, I had cancer! Nearly dropped the phone - didn't cry or scream just stood there with an open mouth!

Anyway had the TLH, BSO, Omentectomy and Pelvic wash. 6 weeks later 3 x sessions of Brachytherapy and yesterday had my third tri-mester post op all clear.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

Hope the consultation went well today. If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Good evening ladies,

I have recently been diagnosed with womb cancer. I had biopsies taken on the 20th May this year and met with the gynaecology ontology consultant on the 9th June. I was told I was in the cancer fast track, but I have had to chase every part of it. I am still waiting for the hormone coil but have the tablets. I have had bloods, m r I and pre up done and Finally got my date for a C T scan but no surgery date.  My non rational brain thinks the cancer is spreading like wildfire in my body. How long generally is the time scale from diagnosis to surgery. 

thank you

• Hi there, I'm sorry to  hear that you have been diagnosed with womb cancer, its such a shock when it happens and with all the waiting for scans and appoinments your worry goes into overdrive.. I  myself was diagnosed in 2019.I had a small post menopausal bleed at the end of April, after a visit to my  gp I was put onto the two week  pathway. A hystoscapthy showed a small polyp, this wasn't  thought to be suspicious but would be removed. This happened towards the end of June, I  was told I  would receive the results in around 6 weeks, but just over a week later I received a letter for an urgent appointment.  The grade 1 cancer was confirmed at the beginning of July,  I  had an MRI the same week but no CT scan. My surgery was on the 6th or August, histology  was stage 1A grade 1 and no further treatment. So from first symptoms to  surgery was 3 months for me.

I hope you get news soon about your  treatment. 

The ladies in this group are lovely so please ask any question however small or silly they seem.

Carolina61
  • Thank you for your reply.  A week certainly feels like a year at the moment. I just want the total hysterectomy as soon as possible so fingers crossed it isn't too long. 

I am so pleased for your good news x

• I was due to have my total hysterectomy next Tuesday which would have been just under 6 weeks from my initial visit to A and E with terrible stomach and back pain. Unfortunately my blood sugar levels are too high to have it done next week so I'm desperately trying to get them down so it might be possible the week after. Like you I'm imagining the cancer galloping out of control but hopefully a delay of a week or two should be okay. I cried when the diabetes nurse rang me to tell me they were postponing the surgery, the stress is unbearable and it's on my mind 24/7 

Take care and keep badgering the consultants secretary. Deb

• Hi Deb, I hope you are able to get the op soon.

I chase up my oncology nurses so maybe I will now chase up the consultants secretary. You don’t want to be a pain but it is our life we are talking about. I still have not had the coil, which should help, so have increased the tablets..

it just seems like you have to really be on their case when all you feel really is disbelief that you have cancer.

Fingers crossed for you x