Operation next Tuesday ....

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi

I took a week off work for stress, just for a break and by the Friday morning I had had a biopsy, ultrasound and an appointment for a chest x-ray from which I worked out I had cancer.

Later that afternoon the Consultant called and confirmed. That was the middle of April, next Tuesday I am having a Total Laprascopic Hysterctomy with bilateral salpingo oophorectomy - everything out.

I have been talking to Nurses and reading a lot about the recovery and I am confused, it seems to range from two weeks bed rest to going for a walk as much as you can from day 1.

I am 60, no kids and unfortunately very (33%) overweight (made much worse in the last year from working from home, snacking and not being able to go swimming - usual exercise as have osteoarthritis in left hip, left leg also shorter than right).

I've left it a bit late but would appreciate advice from anyone who has been through this op before :)  tips and tricks for recovery sort of thing.......

x

• Hi BluePig, it’s been just over two weeks since I had the same operation that you are going to have on Tuesday. First thing, it is not as horrendous as you might think it is.  I was absolutely terrified at the thought of it, even on the day. I needn’t have been. I could not believe how well I felt when I woke up from the operation and how little pain I was in even after the anaesthetic had worn off. I felt that it was almost as if I’d never had an operation. Obviously, this is my own personal experience and other people may have felt differently. I’m finding the recovery part very vague too.  I also live on my own and although I have lots of friends offering to help me, I’m very independent, stubborn and basically stupid because I hate to ask for help.  I have relented on a few occasions and have been very grateful for it. The only thing I can say is don’t try and overdo it at least for the first two weeks or so. I have been doing lots of walking around in my home and into the garden. I really don’t think I could manage to go for a walk somewhere yet.  On the occasions when I’ve probably overdone things a bit, standing too long while putting a meal together, fidgeting about with light tidying up etc, my body has let me know, backache and just a general feeling of being knackered. I’ve taken myself off to bed and had a good sleep and rest up. I think recovery is doing what you can without putting any strain on your body and not lifting anything heavy for quite a number of weeks.  I hope this has been helpful for you and all the very best for Tuesday when you have your operation.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Onwards and upwards

Hey!

Thanks yes that was very helpful.

Also about the pre op I was starting to get a little wound up about it not knowing what to expect.

Thanks again and big hug for your full recovery xx

• Hi Bluepig, welcome to the forum.
    Everybody obviously works up into a stew before their op, I had to go in on my own because of Covid restrictions. I had to get undressed and into a hospital gown, give all my stuff to the nurse....and then walk to the theatre, like the condemned man! Must admit I did walk very slowly!

if you are lucky enough to have keyhole surgery the recovery time is much quicker than if you have open surgery. My consultant gave me a chart for guidance and it said about 12 weeks to get to anywhere like normal after keyhole surgery, but you can double that time if you have open surgery. I had my keyhole surgery last August. I was fit and healthy beforehand and only a few pounds overweight. I recovered very quickly.

Whilst you are under the anaesthetic they may well put a catheter in, that was the bit I was really worried about! But I didn’t even realise it was there until the morning after surgery when the consultant said it could come out. And it didn’t hurt a bit when they removed it, and it meant no struggling out of bed to get to the loo! If you have keyhole you may experience a feeling of heartburn afterwards, it’s trapped wind as they pump you full of air. I had two nights in hospital, they need to know your bowels are working!  When I got home  I only needed paracetamol for pain relief and only took them for about three days.  And I was able to start going out for short walks after about a week. But I never went on my own.

If you drive you may need to check with your insurers about how soon you can drive. Some just say when you feel ok or when your medical team say it’s ok, others have a time restriction, like six weeks after the op.

onwardsandupwards is right about taking it very easy and listening to your body. We all recover at different rates and this is quite major surgery so be kind to yourself. There is a very helpful list of suggestions on this forum on what to take with you. I would say top of the list is phone and charger as you want to be able to stay in touch with people, especially if there are restrictions on visitors - dunno if that has relaxed a bit now. Good luck for Tuesday, try not to get too wound up, just think you want to get the nasty stuff out ASAP.

Viv x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jigsaw33

Thanks my Consultant is 99% confident it will be laproscopic so fingers crossed it doesn't need to change half way through.  

It is still no visitors Frowning2 but OK with that - happy to do whatever it takes to keep the hospital a safe environment x

Thanks for your input Thumbsupvery helpful.

• Hi  and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. Sorry I wasn't around to welcome you yesterday! Like Viv I had my TLH & BSO last September via Laparoscopic surgery. The next day, once the catheter was removed, I walked up and down the ward and didn't get back into bed until the evening. Due to my long journey 2.5 hours I didn't go home the next day as planned and in fact stayed in an extra night due to painful trapped wind and constipation! (We share everything here!) It was a bit painful to actually get out of bed but once out just mild discomfort. 

Once home I got up as normal and moved around the house, not bending, nor lifting. I kept walking around the house and garden but couldn't take dogs for normal walks. I think it was the end of the second week before I took my elderly Jack Russell for a walk with a neighbour donated special poo picker upper!. It was about 4 weeks before I was back to 3 mile+ walks. Having a hubby like mine the thought of bed rest never crossed my mind - nor his LOL!

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi . Just a quick message to say we'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Come back and let us know how it goes.

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thank you ..just finishing packing bits and pieces for hospital.... and hemming a pair of kitchen curtains Rofl

Will definitely update when home  Sunglasses

Tx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Good luck tomorrow. I am week 3 post surgery today but I had an open vertical abdominal incision which looks a bit like the Grand Canyon at the moment. Still no word on what they found but have a gynae appointment next week so will know more then. I live on my own but was back home after 2 nights. Dog came back after another 2 nights. I trained him to jump up to have lead on. Some days very tired other days ok just go with the flow.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks....we got two rescues just over 6 months ago still in training - they go a bit loopy if my partner works in the garage for an hour and comes back.....not sure about me being away for 2days!

Good luck with your results Fingers crossed

I hear Bio Oil is good for scars x

Take care of you x

• Good luck for tomorrow.  Let us all know how you get on! I’ve been using bio oil for my appendix scar, it’s good stuff, also good for  rubbing into finger and toe nails to strengthen them.  
    Don’t forget, take it very easy for the first couple of weeks, lift nothing heavier than a kettle!