Just emerging from the shadow

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hello, I’m Carol and was diagnosed with womb cancer on 23 December 2020; had a TAH on 25 January. Cancer was stage 2, grade 3.

I’ve just finished 3 sessions of brachytherapy and at 9 weeks post op am struggling a bit with finding a balance between what I can do and still can’t as well as my confidence.

Has anyone else felt like this?

• Hi Cabransa,

Sorry you are here. Your feelings sound very familiar to mine!!! And I only had the hysterectomy. Did the hospital give you a booklet after your operation? I don't know about brachytherapy, but no doubt someone else will be along soon. My consultant said I would reach my previous fitness by three months, and I think that was about right. Brachytherapy might delay matters a bit at a guess! If I felt like doing something I did it, but carefully for the first time! And if I ached I stopped and got my feet up.

I think it takes time to trust your body again, not sure we ever will completely. As far as confidence is concerned - I don't think Covid has helped anybody. I certainly saw lack of confidence in my 10year old grand daughter that wasn't there before.

We went away after 3 weeks in our motorhome and I think that did me good. Difficult to have a change at the moment, though. xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

Hi NannyAnny

Thankyou for that reassurance. Yes, I think the brachytherapy has set me back 3 or 4 weeks in terms of energy.

I’m just trying to listen to my body, but it’s not easy. I think it’s a case of the body, at the moment, is in charge!

Lockdown doesn’t help, you’re right, but I so hope to travel to see my daughter at the end of May - she’s going to make us grandparents in October!!

Take care x

• Hi   and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. Any cancer diagnosis and treatment brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

I had 3 sessions of Brachytherapy after my TLH and apart from one day needing to be close to the loo a week after session 2 I had no adverse effects yet other ladies have mentioned how fatigued they felt. I found I had to listen to my body and made sure I didn't lift, hoover or bend too much. I've always been a walker having dogs and was back to my usual 5 miles quite quickly but did notice more if the ground was uneven.

If you want to fire off any questions, even if you think them daft come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thankyou Mrs BJH - I’ll look into everything you suggest x