New to the group - thickening of womb after Ultra sound scan

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 21 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hello

I have been reading your posts but felt it was about time I joined myself.

I went to my GP two weeks ago I am 50 years old this August. I have always had regular periods monthly periods rarely longer than 4 days and quite light all my life.

In December for the first time I had two bleeds within weeks of each other the second one being quite heavy.

In January I had a small bleed but didn’t actually have a period during this month. As most women of my age would assume I was starting pre menopause but I had no other pre menopause symptoms 

In February I had a 23 day constant bleed this to me was definitely not normal and I was quick to ring the doctor. She did an internal examination everything looked nice so next step was to refer me for blood tests which may indicate if I was in pre menopause 

Eight tests were undertaken all came back normal with the exception of the ESR rate which was slightly raised at 37. I believe this indicates that something is wrong within the body but does not pin point where the problem is.

all blood tests confirmed NOT IN MENOPAUSE 

The GP rang me and said she was sending me for a ultra sound scan to establish the cause of the bleeding 

I had the pelvic exam and the internal exam. The lady undertaking the scan showed me the scan and she said the lining of my womb is thicker than what it should be. She also said she would expect to see this if I was on my period or about to have a period but since the 23 March I have not bled at all.

She asked me to ring the doctor on Monday as she wants the GP to refer me to gynaecology and their report will follow shortly after

I assume they need to investigate the womb for cancerous cells do you think that is the case? 

• Hi Bellman,

There is nothing like a medical scare to make you think twice about things!

As for worrying about being examined down there, I was well past that! In my 20's I had 'something suspicious ' on the womb neck. Cancer never crossed my mind at the time and they cauterized it. That caused the neck womb to be weak, and when I was pregnant it literally just opened. I then had to have both my daughters stitched in!!! So, by the time I got to womb cancer I couldn't care less who saw what!! In fact, when I had daughter 1 I agreed to 30 students watching me be stitched up afterwards!!! I figured its the only way for them to learn, and I was so pleased, and thankful, to eventually get a baby. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Got call from my GP this morning thickness of lining was 13mm she has referred me on two week fast track at gynaecology. My electric medical notes say cancer suspected I assume now it’s just waiting for tests and to do a biopsy. Blood tests confirmed I am not in menopause and I have irregular bleeding since December. My bleeding lasted 22 days in Feb but it had stopped completely when my ultra sound scan was done. The lady said she would expect to see someone having a period with the thickness of my lining at that time and of course I was not bleeding at all 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Amycdi

Hi Amycdi

had my ultra sound scan lining was 13mm thick. The lady told me she would expect to see this thickness if I was on my period. I had a 22 day bleed in Feb but at the time of my scan I had not bled for 5 days. 

my GP rang me has put me on the two week urgent route I read my medical records on line it said genealogical cancer suspected

I know now it’s wait to be called for tests and for a biopsy then further wait for results     

• Hi Bellman, 

I spoke to my consultant yesterday and was told that they didn't do a biopsy as they couldn't do it. 

I was told after a scan given in 2017 that the thickness of the womb was ok. I just wish that I realised I should have had a hysterectomy then. It was suggested if the bleeding got heavier I should have one but it actually got less and as I said thought it was the menopause when the blood was less.

I have 2 wombs so they hadn't done a biopsy in 2017 either as they said it they couldn't do it then even under GA which I didn't realise until yesterday, just thought they had done that for the 1st womb but not the 2nd. Not given any suggestion as to would be better for my future health to have hysterectomy then.

Feel very stupid as I didn't even realise what the symptoms of cancer were. Having spoken to a friend she had said that was how the periods were before menopause. 

The consultant said they would see what treatment if any after the MRI but wouldn't say what she thought it was.

Got very upset and crying yesterday. So upset I was actually sick. 

I had an online chat yesterday with one of the support team. It felt good to be able to talk about my fears and worries. My husband just says he doesn't know what to say to me. And I tried talking to 2 friends from work but they didn't really know what to say either.

I hope everything goes well with your tests. I am sending you a big hug. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Amycdi

Hi Amycdi

I am so sorry to hear you have been so upset. Sending you big hugs and I pray for you xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bellman.....you're sorry is similar to mine although I am post menopausal. Your GP will have fast tracked you as a precaution, we are all different. When I went through this process they found nothing and I just had to accept my womb lining is much thicker than it should be! 

Two years later I'm back on the same two week referral again as I've had another bleed - hysteroscopy booked for next Tuesday..... 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Your story.....

• Hi I've just re-read your post from the other day where you mentioned neither your husband, nor you friends knew what to say to you. In a lot of our ladies experiences family and friends don't know how to cope. It might be a good idea to take a look at the Family and friends group, you might find some answers there to help. My husband had, still has the emotional empathy of a plank so was never any help so I found the ladies here offered the emotional help and my CNS did the practical side. You could also ask a nurse on the  Ask the expert forum but it might take a day or two to receive a reply, worth a try.

Hope that might help a little.

Sending big hugs, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello Barb,

Thank you so much for your response. I managed to speak to a counsellor from my work on Sunday and she was brilliant. I had my MRI yesterday and am waiting for the results but the lovely lady I spoke to Sunday made a point of ringing me today to check in on me. 

One of the things we spoke about was making an emotion diary. Writing in how I am feeling helps. She also said to put 1 negative and 1 positive emotion a day. Could be someone or something made you smile or laugh to try to see that you don't just have negative thoughts all the time. I find that really helps me.

It's good to come back to the forum and hear from people like yourselves and I find that really helps to have that extra support from you all.

Huge hugs to you and the other ladies.

Amycdi. xxx