New to the group - thickening of womb after Ultra sound scan

• 21 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hello

I have been reading your posts but felt it was about time I joined myself.

I went to my GP two weeks ago I am 50 years old this August. I have always had regular periods monthly periods rarely longer than 4 days and quite light all my life.

In December for the first time I had two bleeds within weeks of each other the second one being quite heavy.

In January I had a small bleed but didn’t actually have a period during this month. As most women of my age would assume I was starting pre menopause but I had no other pre menopause symptoms 

In February I had a 23 day constant bleed this to me was definitely not normal and I was quick to ring the doctor. She did an internal examination everything looked nice so next step was to refer me for blood tests which may indicate if I was in pre menopause 

Eight tests were undertaken all came back normal with the exception of the ESR rate which was slightly raised at 37. I believe this indicates that something is wrong within the body but does not pin point where the problem is.

all blood tests confirmed NOT IN MENOPAUSE 

The GP rang me and said she was sending me for a ultra sound scan to establish the cause of the bleeding 

I had the pelvic exam and the internal exam. The lady undertaking the scan showed me the scan and she said the lining of my womb is thicker than what it should be. She also said she would expect to see this if I was on my period or about to have a period but since the 23 March I have not bled at all.

She asked me to ring the doctor on Monday as she wants the GP to refer me to gynaecology and their report will follow shortly after

I assume they need to investigate the womb for cancerous cells do you think that is the case? 

• I was meant to say last bleed 23 February not March (this was after 23 days of consecutive bleeding which has never happened before in my life 

• Hi and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. We have a lovely group here of supportive ladies who have all been where you are now and we're all at the start, in the middle or at the end of what can only be described as a roller coaster ride.

It seems if the lining of the womb is deemed to be thicker than normal it sets off warning bells. After my scan I was sent for hysteroscopy and biopsy, and they revealed I was Stage 1a grade 1 endometrial cancer. It was a bolt out of the blue as I'd never had any gynae problems, not had children, sailed through the menopause but just had light spotting on my undies for a couple of days just after my 67th birthday. My GP referred me for a 2 week wait cancer pathway. I was several years post menopause at the time.

After you chat to your GP on Monday come back and let us know what they say. If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and it's reassuring to discuss your fears and worries with those who have been there.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks MrsBJG this is very helpful and I will let you know what the doctor says on Monday. Incredible what happened to you but I’m so pleased you are well. X

• Hi Bellman,

Sorry to see you here, but I wouldn't despair yet.  Wait until they find out what is going on, if anything!

Your bleeding, or not sounds awfully like my experiences with the menopause. I remember missing a period at age 47, and went to the doctors because if pregnant I have troubles, and knew I would need help. I was tested and was negative. I then had periods, or not, some very heavy, some practically non existent until I was 53, when I stopped for good. I had some very queer periods after I miscarried at 20 weeks some years earlier, so knew it was all hormone related.

I think they are just thoroughly checking you out, which is good. If you have got problems, the sooner they get to you, the better. I know they don't seem to like thick linings, but mine was normal. I still had cancer which was sorted out with a hysterectomy only. xxx

• Hi NannyAnny sorry to hear you had cancer. If the lining was normal where was your actual cancer? 

they sent me for tests because my ESR blood test was slightly raised at 37 when a normal reading is 20. An ESR rate indicates inflammation or possibly an underlying disease so the GP needed to establish what was causing my bleeding when blood tests revealed I am not in menopause 

• Hi Bellman,

My lining was normal thickness, I should have said. I was age 72 when I had a smear of blood on my underwear. Because I had had two miscarriages in my life I had spent a lot of time looking for blood that shouldn't be there! I went to the doctor immediately, but I think someone else might have ignored it. I had no more bleeding until after my operation a couple of months later. They couldn't see any  cancer and at first  they thought my bleeding (not much) was vaginal thinning. He then decided to do a biopsy because he could see some fluid, and that came back as cancer. It was found very early, but only because I was paranoid!!! xxx

• Wow incredible and I’m so sorry about your miscarriages. I do lots of reading to prepare myself and go to the doctor where necessary. The main thing is not to be embarrassed about the doctors looking in your private area they have seen hundreds of thousands. So many deaths from cancer could have been avoided. Being paranoid was a very good thing in your case xx

I self diagnosed a DVT which was an extensive one that went into my groin 10 days after foot surgery so when I bled for 23 days I thought it was just best to check it out 

• I also double checked the blood tests that were taken and the Serum follicle stimulating hormone level was normal

• Hi Bellman, l hope everything will be okay with you. It's definitely the waiting to hear results that makes you feel very anxious. I am hoping I can speak to my consultant on Monday but will probably not have any answers until after my MRI next week. Thinking of you and wishing you all the very best. Amycdi

• Thanks Amycdi I am on the pathway with the tests and referrals just waiting to speak to the GP on Monday to refer me to gynaecology for further tests. I will try and find out what my wall thickness was. Good luck with you MRI best wishes to you xx