Having egg preservation, then partial hysterectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi lovelies!

I got my diagnosis three weeks back, and it has blindsided me a bit. I’m 36, and hoped to have children but alas carrying my own is not to be as they are concerned the cancer has spread to the muscle so to be safe they have to take my womb and tubes. 

The whole process is quite drawn out as I have to go through egg preservation first (anyone else have experience of this before their surgery) and already the hormones they have me on are causing quite a bit of pain. The harvesting has an uncertain timeline (because all bodies are different I guess, and then COVID adds new uncertainty for surgery dates too) but I’m hoping I’ll be able to have surgery about two weeks after the harvesting (mid December). If anyone has had the same pathway I’d love to know how long you had to wait after harvesting until it was safe to have your surgery?

It’s a weird/ hard time - just before I was diagnosed I lost one of my best friends to leukaemia. my sister in law is due with her second baby around when I’m supposed to have my surgery. I have to shield for two weeks before each procedure so no seeing my support bubble for a month, and we were in the middle of a house renovation when this all started and we’re now at the loudest, messiest bit! All just a bit overwhelming and emotional. 

Any advice for this period gratefully received 

Xxx

• Hi Endowarrior,

Sorry you got that news. I have no experience of egg harvesting, but my daughter went through IVF (must be similar?) She was very emotional, but I think it was partly all the hormones pumped into her. She was 35 at the time. I would think your best plan is to keep busy on the house renovation!!!  Good luck xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

Aww thank you NannyAnny. Yes the beginning of the IVF process is very similar. Trying to keep busy is a good plan. Trying to stay focussed x

• Hello , welcome to our little corner of the community. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, i was 37 at diagnosis and hadn’t had children either,I unfortunately i wasn’t given the chance of harvesting my eggs before surgery because of the worry it had already spread due to delays in diagnosis, well being that i was fobbed off for way too long. I had gone to see my Gp in July 2016 but was diagnosed in June 2017 after having a fight with the hospital to take me seriously and check further as i had two small fibroids too. I think when your young often because its more common in older ladies to have womb cancer that it can often be dismissed, i felt extremely lucky those that it was low stage and I only needed surgery but that in a small way made not being able to harvest  my eggs before surgery even worse, so i am really glad to hear that they doing everything they can so you can have your own children but just not in the normal way. I wish you every success in the harvesting.we need to take every opportunity.  It certainly sounds like everything came at once on you too, i am sorry to hear about your friend loss to leukaemia you have my condolences, i’ve lost a few good friends this year way too many but it happens lost 3 to covid and 4 to cancer each time it’s ripped off a piece of my heart and yes I admit to be struggling at the moment its a bit much, i don't even know where to start to grieve and cope with it but the most important is sharing as there is loads of really wonderful ladies here willing to listen and help and support where they can. Wish I could answer your questions about egg harvesting those. I am also back to shielding now we are in lockdown again at least i can go out for walks which is nice. 

But if you have any questions please ask we will do what we can to answer lots of combined knowledge and experience.

sending a big bear hug to you and good luck with the harvesting i wish you every success  

Community Champion badge_GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies