Working through treatment

• 23 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi everyone, this is my first post so bear with me!

I'm in my early twenties, diagnosed with endometrial cancer currently having oral chemo and hormone treatment to shrink.

At the moment- I'm feeling ok. Not too many nasty side effects, just a sore mouth, tiredness and no appetite. It's early days but so far very manageable and I feel lucky.

I work in a school and it's my whole world. I love my job and it's such a positive distraction for me at the moment. I think it contributes massively to my positive mindset. My medical team have said that working is my decision ultimately and is fine as long as I feel able to do so. I totally recognise that there may be a time where I need to take time off and am reassessing this every day. If I wake up feeling rubbish, I'll call in sick. Totally aware that I need to come first, not work.

Disclosed my diagnosis to management who have been very supportive and want to refer me to occupational health for an assessment. I appreciate that they are trying to support me, find out if I need any adjustments in the workplace and that they have a duty of care to me but as it stands, I've had no time off and am fit and able to do my job. If I hadn't had told them, they'd have no idea I was poorly. At work I appear fine.

I am not keen on the OH assessment for many reasons but the main one being my crippling anxiety when talking to people I do not know. Years of medical trauma means that I find talking to others about my medical problems very hard. I find the thought of a stranger (although a professional stranger!) probing into the details of my illness upsetting. I have also experienced things medically in the past few years that I'd rather not disclose to my workplace, or anyone to be honest. Just thinking about this assessment has caused me massive anxiety and I am struggling more with my mental health than my physical health. I know that OH is a supportive measure and there to help. But at the moment, I just don't want this. There is not much on this journey or in my life that I can control at the moment and my decision to continue working is one thing I can control.

Management are pushing for me to fill in the referral. I have spoken to Macmillan who are going to provide me with an email to pass onto my employer explaining that I'm ok to work. I'm also going to speak to my GP/consultant for a letter stating that I'm fit to work and that I don't need any reasonable adjustments right now. I hope that this will be enough to mean that I do not need an assessment.

My question is, can I actually say no to an OH assessment, if I have the backing of medical professionals saying I am ok to work?

Thank you everyone Slight smile

• Hi Sparkkly

I am so sorry to hear this. 

I agree that getting a sick note to cover your notice is the best option for your notice period. I am sorry that you have felt pushed into giving up a job that you love. 

When you are feeling more up to it, I would suggest contacting your union rep regarding everything. You may have grounds for constructive dismissal. At the very least it could mean that they investigate what has happened and that the head is held accountable for the way it has all been dealt with.

I would suggest contacting the Occupational Health doctor and updating them on what has happened and see if they have any advice. 

There are work advisors on the Support Line at Macmillan who could also give you some advice. 

I understand how you feel about work being a routine and you getting support from your colleagues. You say that you are close to some of them and I am sure they will contact you to check on you and see if you are ok. I understand it must have been hard to go without saying goodbye to the staff and children. Maybe you have got to know some of the families who are local to you and will be able to keep in touch. 

I am sorry that you are struggling at the moment and please remember that the Support Line is there if you are feeling low. Have you got anyone around you that you can talk to about how you are feeling? Is there someone who can perhaps pop over to see you and you can for eg; go out for a short walk or something together. I know it is hard. 

If there is anything we can do, please just ask

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I am so sorry that this has happened and hope you feel able to call on your union and the OH team. This is really similar to what my daughter experienced when I had the diagnosis and treatment last year and she ended up being threatened with disciplinary action due to absence as a result of collecting me from the hospital (an hour away) after my hysterectomy and time to be with me after my pathology results and also me being her main childcare and not being able to help out. That was also in childcare as she worked at a nursery. I hope your colleagues reach out to you x

• Oh Sparkkly, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I would echo what others have said about consulting your Union and updating the OH. It may be possible for the OH to amend the report in the light of what has happened giving you time off work, and the resignation could potentially be rescinded (unless you decide after speaking to your Union that you wish it to go ahead re constructive dismissal). Clearly, with all that has been going on in terms of both the cancer and other issues the way your manager behaved means that you could potentially withdraw the resignation in order to gain full sickness benefits to which you would be entitled, but might otherwise lose as a result of "bullying". Obviously, this is for others to advise – OH, GP, Union, ACAS, citizen's advice are all sources you can turn to, not forgetting the Macmillan nurses who are wonderful in offering emotional support and whom you can call as needed.

Please don't be afraid to lean on people given how you are feeling in terms of not wanting to go out etc. Post on here whenever you need, call the helplines as needed. People are there for you. I think it might be helpful for you to reach out to the nurse helpline at the earliest opportunity to talk through and help you process what has happened, and only after you have got that emotional support, turn to other things perhaps.

I am afraid you may have been pushed into something you didn't really want, and if it is not you, but rather your manager, who needs to address some behaviour issues the nurses will be able to help support you with regard to next steps, while being on top of the medical side of things more than the Union would be as a first port of call. You will also need to call the Union asap, however. Sending you love and strength and so sorry you are having to go through all this. xx