Working through treatment

• 23 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi everyone, this is my first post so bear with me!

I'm in my early twenties, diagnosed with endometrial cancer currently having oral chemo and hormone treatment to shrink.

At the moment- I'm feeling ok. Not too many nasty side effects, just a sore mouth, tiredness and no appetite. It's early days but so far very manageable and I feel lucky.

I work in a school and it's my whole world. I love my job and it's such a positive distraction for me at the moment. I think it contributes massively to my positive mindset. My medical team have said that working is my decision ultimately and is fine as long as I feel able to do so. I totally recognise that there may be a time where I need to take time off and am reassessing this every day. If I wake up feeling rubbish, I'll call in sick. Totally aware that I need to come first, not work.

Disclosed my diagnosis to management who have been very supportive and want to refer me to occupational health for an assessment. I appreciate that they are trying to support me, find out if I need any adjustments in the workplace and that they have a duty of care to me but as it stands, I've had no time off and am fit and able to do my job. If I hadn't had told them, they'd have no idea I was poorly. At work I appear fine.

I am not keen on the OH assessment for many reasons but the main one being my crippling anxiety when talking to people I do not know. Years of medical trauma means that I find talking to others about my medical problems very hard. I find the thought of a stranger (although a professional stranger!) probing into the details of my illness upsetting. I have also experienced things medically in the past few years that I'd rather not disclose to my workplace, or anyone to be honest. Just thinking about this assessment has caused me massive anxiety and I am struggling more with my mental health than my physical health. I know that OH is a supportive measure and there to help. But at the moment, I just don't want this. There is not much on this journey or in my life that I can control at the moment and my decision to continue working is one thing I can control.

Management are pushing for me to fill in the referral. I have spoken to Macmillan who are going to provide me with an email to pass onto my employer explaining that I'm ok to work. I'm also going to speak to my GP/consultant for a letter stating that I'm fit to work and that I don't need any reasonable adjustments right now. I hope that this will be enough to mean that I do not need an assessment.

My question is, can I actually say no to an OH assessment, if I have the backing of medical professionals saying I am ok to work?

Thank you everyone Slight smile

• Hi  

Have a look at your employers sickness policy. In my previous workplace, multiple episodes of sickness had consequences. So a day off here and there as work and treatment takes its toll will work against you more than 1 longer episode of sick time.

I worked up to my hysterectomy. I was stressed, in pain, distracted, wasn't sleeping, had bad coping mechanisms. I should have put myself first. This may interest you  If I could go back to the day of my cancer diagnosis 

The focus of work is serving other people, whatever client group that may be. Think about whether you feel physically and mentally able. Don't get to the point of burnt out.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi everyone, a little update. My OH assessment has been arranged for Wednesday. It's a phone appointment. I'm feeling really anxious about it. The thought of having to explain everything that has happened medically over the past few years and to justify myself is something that's really affecting me. As it stands, I haven't managed to get a letter from my GP/consultant to state my diagnosis/fitness to work yet (just due to NHS delays), I think this will take weeks at least. I guess this means that the OH Dr will 'take my word for it' and have to accept my information about my condition, which I am quite knowledgeable about by now and willing to share. Personally, I don't think I would feel comfortable sharing additional medical record details if this was requested by the OH Dr. Not sure if this would go against me.

I really hope that the OH Dr is understanding and supportive of my decision to help me stay in work. I'm so worried they won't Disappointed

• Hi Sparkkly, 

I thought I would just share my experience of my occupation health assessment with you as I had similar anxieties which were in the end not necessary although I didn't know it at the time. I am sorry your employers seem to be being a bit unsympathetic and going by a rule book rather than considering how you feel in yourself or whether you are in fact doing your job. 

Like you I did not want to discuss past illnesses with my employer and I have to say this never even came up in my assessment as they were only asking me questions in relation to my current health issues so you shouldn't have to even mention past medical information which is irrelevant to what is happening to you now and what they should be assessing you on. I did not sign a consent form for them to access my medical records and I gave them what details and information I had for my current cancer diagnosis, examples of this were a letter from the consultant confirming my diagnosis. The rest of the information they just noted down from what I was telling them verbally about my treatment plan and at no point did they pressurise me to obtain evidence from my GP or consultant as they were simply provided with a certificate saying I was undergoing chemotherapy then radiotherapy etc. You could pass them the certificates you have confirming your doctor feels you are fit for work.at the moment but this may change in the future and doctors certificates will be issued if needs be for you to take time off. Mine was also a telephone call assessment.

The occupation health assessment is just a requirement to go through to see if you have any concerns or need any help with your work and its up to you whether you wish colleagues to know what you are going through. They should listen to you and are there to help, my health assessment, once completed, recommended me to work reduced hours whilst having my treatment so its worth listening to what they have to say as they may be trying to help you. Perhaps an option like this may help both you and your employer as you may feel more tired as treatment continues and doing some work may be better for both you and your employer rather than you struggling on or going off sick completely.

I hope your assessment goes well on Wednesday and just tell them honestly about you current health issues (no need to mention anything else in the past) and have an honest discussion about mentally you would prefer to work but also listen to what they may have to offer you as they should be sympathetic and if they are genuine occupational health people they should be trained in how to deal with these situations. In the end I was quite happy with assessment and it wasn't anything like I feared.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Thank you so much for this, it makes me feel so much better! I am so nervous about it but like you said really hoping they are sympathetic and supportive. 

• Thank you everyone for your support and words of reassurance.

I had my OH assessment today and it was absolutely fine, nothing like I'd feared. The Dr was lovely and really supportive of my decision to remain at work. She admitted that the way the referral had been approached had been less than ideal. The report will state that I am fine to be at work as long as I feel fit and able to, and hopefully this will reassure my manager enough. Slight smile

• I understand where you are coming from but please don't fear the assessment. They are there to help you through your treatment. 

I felt exactly the same as you when I got reffered and made myself ill. At the time, I had been off for several months, from being diagnosed. My doctor told me to spend time with my family and friends and there would be lots of appointments coming up. I akso was very ill at the time. Although it's called an assessment it is only to help you and for the assessor to relay back to the school what things they can put in place to help you. Without the assessment the school would not be working to best practice and questions could be raised. My assessment was straight forward, the questions the school asked about driving and restraining children. Without the assessment I would have been expected to carry out my normal duties and at the time it was impossible. She put things in place to protect me and when I thought I was ready to go back, without the phased return it would have been too much. Going back to work gave me back some normality and being with my colleagues and the children helped me so much. The school eased me back with no duties but was allowed to be with staff and some children.

I don't think you can say no to the assessment but the recommendation might just be on a bad day the school should be able to allow you time off. Going forward if an operation is required then you will be given ample time off to recover. 

• Hi again Sparkkly

Glad it all turned out well for you and you can now carry on with your work and treatment without too much worry and stress over your job. 

• Am glad it went ok in the end. Hopefully now the stress will be off a bit and you can focus on balancing your treatment with your work. If there is anything else you need, please do ask

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi everyone, just a little update. 

I handed in my notice at work on Friday. I really had no choice as my employer has no trust in me and does not believe me about my cancer or treatment- I had a Drs appointment on Friday morning so booked a few hours off work for this (provided evidence), however she said she did not believe me that it was a medical appointment. When I returned I was called into her office and told to go home so she can have some time to reflect on next steps over the weekend (disciplinary or dismissal).
    Because of my initial hesitation about the OH assessment she said I have hindered every attempt at support she has made and that she feels betrayed, used and that she cannot trust me going forward.
    I just cannot work in that environment any longer so had to make the decision to remove myself Disappointed part of me wants to speak to my Union to hear their side of things and provide her with all the evidence I have to 'prove' my illness- but the bigger part of me has no fight left. Why should I have to prove myself? I am exhausted and drained. I feel really low, I haven't been able to eat or sleep. I am really tearful. I suffer with quite bad anxiety that is generally well controlled but a combination of this situation, health issues and other life stuff has exacerbated it and I am now struggling to even leave the house. I want to isolate myself but I know this isn't healthy.

I am heartbroken as I loved my job, the children I worked with and the majority of colleagues (I haven't had chance to say goodbye or explain what has happened). I am very close to lots of my colleagues and they are a major part of my support system. Over the past year especially I have relied on work as a coping mechanism... that routine, stability and sense of purpose have kept me going for so long. Now it's been taken away I find myself struggling.

My notice is 4 weeks but I am planning on getting a sick note to cover that period. I don't think it would be healthy or right for me to go back to that environment but I feel awful leaving them short. And especially leaving the children Disappointed 

• Oh my goodness Sparkkly that is just horrendous for you when you are undergoing treatment. She cannot be allowed to act like this and I really wish you had not resigned. The way you are being treated has led you to resign which in effect is constructive dismissal. You must go to your union and if I were you I would immediately telephone the occupational health people that did your assessment and let them know what has happened. She cannot be allowed to get away with this and she should be the one to undergo disciplinary action. I appreciate you may not want to fight this but why should you give up a job you love. Can the union fight this for you?, even if you decide not to return to this job please go to the union on the basis of constructive dismissal so at least you will receive compensation for being pushed into this decision, assuming of course what you are saying can be proven. She could be sacked or disciplined herself for this behaviour as it is just not acceptable when someone has cancer or any other illness for that matter.

Let us know how you go but for now get a sick note to cover for your notice which will give you more time to sort this situation out and also for your treatment..